Utes to host 5 at home

By Matt Sanchez, Staff Writer

The women’s soccer team has started its season off nicely, going 2-0 by winning its home and road openers. After their impressive start, the Utes received votes in the Top 25 Coaches Poll.

Now the team will host five consecutive games at home, beginning Friday against the No. 19 Santa Clara Broncos (2-0). The Utes will then play the Cal Poly Mustangs on Sunday at 1 p.m.

This will be only the second meeting between the Utes and Broncos. The first game saw SCU win 1-0 on its home field in 2006.

“SCU’s trademark has always been keeping the ball for a long time until they can break you down, and I expect the same quality this year,” said head coach Rich Manning. “There is some sense that we are both in the same place mentally, coming off of disappointing years with some adversity. Both teams are determined to break through, not take prior successes for granted and regain that hunger.”

Manning is no stranger to Santa Clara and has a lot of history with the program. He was a student at SCU and captain of the soccer team his senior year. He later coached on the Broncos’ staff for four years8212;three as an assistant coach and one as associate head coach. He was also part of the 2001 NCAA Championship team.

Manning coached alongside Jerry Smith, who is in his 23rd season at the helm for the Broncos and has a career record of 344-102-34.

Santa Clara is off to a hot start and has yet to allow a single goal in its first two games. It opened the season at home with a 2-0 victory over UC Santa Barbara and then blanked San Jose State on the road, 4-0.

The Broncos are stellar on defense, but still stingy. In their first two games, the Bronco defense has only allowed one total shot on goal, helping sophomore goalkeeper Bianca Henninger earn her first two collegiate shutouts.

“I’m excited to play Santa Clara because they are such a good and athletic team,” said senior midfielder Kelly Isleib. “It should be a fun game and will definitely be a challenge.”

In the second of this weekend’s matches, the Utes will play Cal Poly for the third straight year. The Utes are 2-1 all-time against the Mustangs, beating them 1-0 on the road in 2008 and 2-0 at home in 2007. In 1997, Cal Poly beat the Utes 8-0.

“Cal Poly has been in the NCAA Tournament consistently over the last 10 years,” Manning said.

Cal Poly will open its season Friday at home against Stanford before making the trip to Salt Lake City.

The Mustangs have an experienced team that went 10-9-1 a season ago, including their top defender Carrie Andrews and midfielder Morgan Miller.

“Traditionally, they are athletic, well-organized and have one or two players who can turn around a game, and I expect the same,” Manning said. “They will also bring a physical aspect similar to Cal State Fullerton that we will have to deal with.”

Friday’s game will begin at 7:30 p.m. on Ute field.