The Great Debate: Which team will win the NCAA championship?

The Great Debate

Which team will win the NCAA championship?

Miami’s experience will secure victory

Indiana’s depth gives them advantage

In recent years, there has been a copious amount of Cinderellas making deep runs in the NCAA Tournament. Virginia Commonwealth University made it to the Final Four two years ago, Butler made it all the way to the championship game in back-to-back years and little old George Mason put quite a scare into the contenders when it made a run in 2006.
This year, Miami will make a similar run. Not only will the Hurricanes go deep, but they will win it all.
While Miami is in a Bowl Championship Series conference, unlike the Bulldogs and Rams, the Hurricanes’ basketball program can be more closely compared to Butler’s and VCU’s than fellow Atlantic Coast Conference opponents Duke and North Carolina. This year marks only the seventh time in history that Miami has ever made it to the Big Dance. Duke and North Carolina have more championships combined — nine — than the Hurricanes have tournament appearances.
But Miami is looking to reverse the trend this year, thanks to being incredibly experienced. In the age of one-and-done players in college basketball, the Hurricanes start four seniors. Teams that succeed deep into the tournament often rely on experience, and the Hurricanes might be the most experienced team in the country. In other words, now is the time for Miami to win its first championship.
In addition to having players who have been around a long time, the Hurricanes also have great leadership. Shane Larkin emerged as one of the best point guards in the country this season and earned first team All-ACC honors. On top of that, the Hurricanes had a great regular season, as they won both the ACC regular season championship and the conference tournament. Not an easy task in a difficult conference, even though the Blue Devils were Miami’s only real conference opposition this season.
In addition to experience, the Hurricanes will also benefit from placement in what many believe is the weakest bracket in the tournament. While Indiana is a favorite to win it all, the Hoosiers are Miami’s only true test in their portion of the bracket. If all goes according to plan, the two teams would square off in the Elite Eight.
With Louisville in a difficult bracket, there is a good chance that the best team in the country will be eliminated before Miami gets a chance to face it.
Overall, the Hurricanes have all the weapons, all the experience and a favorable bracket to win it all. If Miami wants to put itself on the map as an actual power, it must make history and separate itself from the rest of the pack. Odds are in the Hurricanes’ favor, as the six of the last eight teams from the ACC to win both the regular season conference championship and the conference tournament have made it to the Final Four.

March Madness is in full effect. Many people are filling out multiple brackets hoping to pick the right upsets, favorites and, of course, who will win it all.
This year, there isn’t a clear-cut favorite. Throughout the regular season it seemed as though there was a new No. 1 team every week. As soon as it seemed one team was going to hold on to the top spot, that team would be knocked off.
Because of this, it isn’t surprising to see so many different opinions on who will win the tournament. Depending on the day and sports news outlet, a person could hear five or six different arguments on who the eventual national champion will be.
In my book, Indiana is the team to beat. To start, the Hoosiers are a No. 1 seed. Since 1985, a No. 1 seed has won 18 of the 28 tournaments. Indiana is poised to be the next in line because not only does it have one of the easiest paths to the championship, but it also has one of the most talented teams.
Unlike the South and the West, the East region is one of the easier regions this year. The Hoosiers won’t have to face too many tough tests until the Elite Eight, when they could face Miami. The Hurricanes are a strong team, but their road is going to be much tougher. Even if Miami winds up facing Indiana, the Hoosiers’ talent will be too much for them.
In addition to having a relatively easy road through the tournament, Indiana certainly has talent. Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller are both projected to be top picks in the NBA Draft. Oladipo leads all guards in the country in field goal percentage at just under 60 percent, and Zeller is also in the top 15.
Though Oladipo and Zeller are great players, the most surprising statistic about Indiana is that none of its players are in the top 50 in scoring in the country, but the team is third in points per game overall. This means the Hoosiers not only have the talent to play with any other team in the tournament, but they also have great depth.
Scoring isn’t everything when it comes to winning championships, however. Defense plays a key factor, and that’s an important part of Indiana’s game. Zeller will be able to control the inside, and Oladipo is a strong defender in the backcourt. This has helped make Indiana third in the country in scoring margin.
While there are a number of strong teams who could make a run in the tournament, an easy road, talent and depth are on the Hoosiers’ side.