The 5 best ways for Utah to improve its game in 2015

— Conor Barry

Utah is coming off a 9-4 season that concluded with a blowout victory over Colorado State in the Las Vegas Bowl. Things were good for the Utes but nowhere near perfect. Here are some things Utah can, and should, improve on this year.

1. Figure out a long-term answer at offensive coordinator

Utah’s offensive coordinator position has been a revolving door for years and continued to be after this season when Dave Christensen left to take a job at Texas A&M; as the offensive line coach. The question must be asked, are things so bad at Utah that coaches are now leaving for lesser positions?

Kyle Whittingham needs to correct the negative stigma that surrounds the offense and its coaching staff. Choose a coordinator, let him run whatever offense he wants and don’t interfere with game plans and play calling. Oh, and for the love of man, keep him around for more than one season.

2. Design an offense around the team’s and quarterback’s strengths

This kind of goes along with the first resolution, but so many times in the past season the Utes have tried to force players into a system and not just let those players play to their strengths.

If Utah wants to run the ball every down, then design a system to do so. Don’t masquerade as a spread team when you don’t want to be. Find an identity.

3. Switch permanently to the Las Vegas Bowl uniform combos

Yeah, they may have looked like Nebraska, but why is that a bad thing? I loved these uni’s. They had a classic feel but also a very fresh look. Let’s make them a permanent thing.

4. Let assistant coaches talk again

This one might be more of a selfish request than anything, but some of the best stories about athletes come from the mouths of assistants and this past year those were missed out on.

Coach Whittingham, you don’t have to do all the interviews yourself. Let others talk — it’s easier for you and more fun for everyone.

5. Replace recruiters

I might be in the minority here, but I don’t think the Utah defense will suffer much from losing defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake. The defense has always been Whitt’s baby, and it will continue to be. But the Utes will feel the sting of losing Sitake in recruiting. Many current players, as well as current commits, acknowledge that Sitake is the man that helped convince them to come to Utah.

Sitake had connections in the Deep South, in California, in-state and, maybe most importantly, in the Polynesian community. For Utah to continue to be successful, the Utes need someone who can recruit these areas and recruit them well.

@millerjryan