LDS church needs to welcome questions from within its ranks

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]John Dehlin, founder of the MormonStories.org podcast and StayLDS.com, is facing disciplinary action from the LDS church for alleged apostasy, with a disciplinary council currently scheduled for Feb. 8. Mormon Stories’ mission statement states that the podcast “is dedicated to exploring, celebrating, and challenging Mormon culture in constructive ways.” The podcast has featured discussion with individuals from a broad spectrum of cultural Mormonism about various aspects of the faith tradition. According to a press release from Dehlin (correlated by republished private communication from the LDS church to him, included in the press release), he is facing church discipline for his involvement with the podcast, along with his “public support of same-sex marriage, and of the Ordain Women movement,” and his criticism of various aspects of the LDS church.

At this juncture, Dehlin deserves a show of solidarity from all communities with ties to cultural Mormonism, including the LDS church itself. As evidenced by his founding of StayLDS.com and openness in confronting critical social issues within Mormonism, Dehlin is embracing a commitment to religious truth, albeit a non-conformist one. A church whose foundation mythos revolves around an idolization of just such an unwavering commitment to religious truth cannot afford to marginalize this voice.

When questioned about his alleged apostasy on a recent edition of Trib Talk, Dehlin said, “I still consider myself a person of faith; I still believe in what I believe are the core tenets of Christianity … I still hold to many of the LDS church’s core beliefs and practices.” He expressed that he had no intent to lead members of the church away from it, but was interested in keeping a space open for discussion of all elements of Mormonism. “I have this hope that Mormonism — the LDS church — can mature like Judaism and Christianity have … become a bigger tent, and become more willing to tolerate dissenting views, even criticism.”

Dehlin is being marginalized within LDS circles for his perceived apostasy. In talking about his story with Mormon and post-Mormon friends, it has been apparent that character assassination stories are being swapped as they were when Kate Kelly was in the same spotlight. Many within the progressive Mormon community, such as Flunking Sainthood author Jana Riess, feel “…that his excommunication is a foregone conclusion.”

Given that Dehlin’s unchanged theological positions have been a matter of public knowledge for years, it’s readily apparent that this is an attempt by the official and orthodox to ostracize a (perceivably) critical space with growing influence. This is not an attempt to help Brother Dehlin “overcome transgression through repentance,” the stated reason for disciplinary councils on the LDS.org website. It is unfortunate that the LDS church insists on such continued attempts at censorship, especially since the target is a space like Mormon Stories, which attempts to provide an independent and objective venue for discussion that is not definitively anti- or pro-Mormon.

It seems unfathomable that unquestionable orthodoxy should be the standard for a faith operating in the United States. The LDS church is showing itself to be a radically fundamentalist organization. It is intent on excommunicating human rights lawyers and psychology Ph.D. candidates solely because they support the faith’s LGBTQ+ community, frame questions within a 21st century political paradigm and openly confront troubling aspects of the faith tradition. This is an attempt to officially police a theological conversation now taking place in venues such as Slate and The New York Times, an approach notably inconsistent with a commitment to proselyting and theological research.

The Mormon community and LDS church need to understand that cultural Mormonism is not inhabited solely by the orthodox. Abuse of the marginalized and heterodox only serves to weaken the theological position of the Church. When publicly discussing doctrine on the Internet (without ill intent!) is treated as a crime of heresy, it’s hard to believe that the priestly accusers are interested in serving anyone but their own power elite.

To LDS church leadership: Try to save an official space in your community for those who have asked questions, even those who do so publicly. People will feel less threatened and will be more likely to take you seriously, especially since they aren’t going to necessarily leave the community and/or stop talking just because they’ve been told to do so.

[email protected][/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]