A single girl’s guide to surviving V-Day

— Dane Goodwin

Every year on Feb. 14, the single ladies of the world wonder what they should do on a night that’s all about love and being with someone else. Well, we are here to change that thought process. You don’t have to be with someone to enjoy Valentine’s Day. Your holiday should be filled with the people and things that you love. Here’s your guide to Salt Lake on the day of all things love.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 3 TIPS FOR A BEAUTIFUL VALENTINE’S DAY

If you want to plan a day to yourself, take a look at the beauty around you. Go for a hike behind the U and spend the day exploring what nature has to offer. Kick it up a notch and bring a picnic with some of your favorite snacks, a drink of choice and a good book for a relaxing and energizing day.

Still want to throw a party and celebrate with friends and some good food? Throw an anti-Valentine’s Day party. Start with silly decorations that show your guests just how much the holiday doesn’t have to suck. Play fun games and encourage guests to mingle with the other single members of your party. You never know, Cupid might just be looking out for you.

Spend the day pampering yourself. A lot of places in Salt Lake have deals running for the holiday. Start by getting your nails done in a festive holiday pattern and then head over to a spa for a deep tissue massage. This day should be all about treating yourself, so don’t be afraid to go all-out. After a relaxing day, cook up a yummy meal and pop in your favorite romantic comedy for a perfect ending to a day of love.

Since Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday night, get your girlfriends together and hit the town. Salt Lake has a lot to offer in terms of bars and fun dancing venues. Start at your favorite bar downtown and bar hop through Main Street. You will have a great Saturday night and be surrounded with the girls you love. Again, you never know, Cupid might have other plans for you. Don’t be afraid to talk to strangers and have a fun and adventurous night.

Another spin on heading downtown would be heading to dinner. Grab your closest friends and make a reservation. Pick up some fresh-cut flowers and have them displayed while you get ready for dinner. Take your time getting ready and make the most of this fun evening out. You will be with the people who love and care about you, and that’s all Valentine’s Day is about.

No matter what you decide to do on Saturday night, you don’t have to think of it as a couples holiday. You can still have fun and celebrate the holiday in other silly ways. Be open-minded and enjoy the beautiful day, because you never know, maybe next year you’ll be celebrating the holiday for two.

@ChronyArts