Utah baseball: After quick start, Utes stumble in California

After a strong start, Utah ended with a few hiccups over the weekend and dropped three out of four games in its season opening series to Sacramento State.

“Overall, I’m encouraged with some things,” head coach Bill Kinnerberg said. “And there are some things we need to work on.”

YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: UTAH TRAVELS TO SACRAMENTO STATE TO START 2015 SEASON

The Utes had their best offensive showing in game one, and used it to capture a 6-4 victory.

Kinnerberg said he is still looking for a consistent Friday night starter and junior Bret Helton gave him reason to consider him for the job. Helton secured his first win of the season pitching six innings while allowing seven hits and three runs.

Sophomore Dallas Carroll, who was playing in his first game since an early season injury last year, went 3-for-3 at the plate and collected two RBI’s.

“Dallas was terrific offensively,” Kinnerberg said. “He played unbelievable defense the first three games.”

Junior Kody Davis also had a good day at the plate, going 2-for-5 with had two RBI’s. Davis also scored two runs.

Utah couldn’t keep the momentum going on Saturday as it struggled to a 10-3 defeat. The Utes didn’t score a run until the sixth inning and by then it was too late.

Senior Brock Duke pitched four innings, allowing five runs on six hits and recording three strikeouts. Duke was replaced by freshman Tanner Thomas, who lasted only 2/3 inning before being replaced by freshman Trenton Stoltz. Sophomore Hunter Rodriguez also made an appearance late in the game and struck out two batters.

Cody Scaggari and A.J. Young both went 2-for-3 at the plate, and Carroll went 2-for-4 with two RBI’s. As a whole, though, Utah struggled swinging the bat going 7-for-30 on the day.

Sunday’s contest was a defensive showdown, with the Utes dropping a low scoring affair, 3-1.

Pitching in his first collegiate game, freshman Jayson Rose went six inning and allowed just one hit while striking out four batters.

“He stands out from the weekend throwing six innings of shut out baseball,” Kinnerberg said. “He pitched very very well.”

Once Rose left the game, however, Sacramento State starting hitting. Dalton Carroll spelled Rose and quickly allowed three runs on four hits, giving the Hornets an advantage they wouldn’t surrender.

Utah was held scoreless until the ninth inning when Dallas Carroll, who went 2-for-3 on the day, was able to reach home plate.

The series finale had its share of fireworks as both teams went back and forth throughout the day, with the Hornets eventually leaving the diamond with a thrilling 8-7 victory.

“Today we didn’t play very good defense,” Kinnerberg said. “We made some mistakes that added to those errors, so defensively we didn’t play a sound game today. That was probably the key to the ball game today.”

Smith led the team at the plate going 2-for-3 and also scored a run. Seven other Utah players recorded a hit and Scaggari drove in two runs.

Junior Nolan Stouder made his first career start Monday, and pitched four innings. He only allowed two runs on five hits and had four strikeouts.

Utah will travel to Phoenix next weekend to compete in the Pac-12/Big 12 challenge. Their first opponent will be Kansas State on Thursday.

@ISmithAtTheU