2015 Oscar’s surprise and delight – Birdman steals the show

The 87th annual Oscar’s captivated audiences around the globe this evening. However, with the usual glitz and glamour that accompanies award season, also comes awkward jokes, sympathetic laughs and poorly timed acceptance speeches. Host Neil Patrick Harris did surprisingly well in his opening, dancing and singing in front of incredible graphics, and later Ana Kendrick and Jack Black shared the stage providing laughs and entertainment.

YOU’LL ALSO WANT TO READ: “JUPITER ASCENDING” HAS GREAT VISUALS BUT DISAPPOINTS ON EVERY OTHER FRONT

Starting out the show with best actor in a supporting role, JK Simmons took home the Oscar for his role in “Whiplash,” encouraging all to actually call our parents and thank them.

US-OSCARS-SHOW

A few jokes and a scantily clad Neil Patrick Harris later, Wes Anderson’s “The Grand Budapest Hotel” took home several oscars, including best costume design, makeup artistry, best original score and set/design production.

Several other big name movies: “Foxcatcher,” “The Imitation Game,” “American Sniper,” “Birdman,” “Theory of Everything,” “Interstellar,” “Selma,” were nominees in multiple categories, seemingly neck and neck for the most coveted award of the night: best motion picture.

Peppered with musical performances from Maroon 5, Tim McGraw, Jennifer Hudson and John Legend, perhaps the most surprising act of the evening was Lady Gaga’s tribute to the cult classic “Sound of Music.”

Cautiously lowering my standards and waiting with baited breath for her to come out clothed in only pine needles straight from the hills of Austria, I was completely blown away by her incredible range, her moving performance and her completely normal Oscar-worthy gown.

Following the touching Julie Andrews/Lady Gaga embrace, the award for the best original song went to John Stephens (John Legend) and Lonnie Lynn (Common) for “Glory,” honoring their collaboration for the film “Selma.”

Graham Moore’s heartfelt speech after winning best adapted screenplay for “The Imitation Game” touched many members of the audience as he reminded those who felt out of place and different to “stay weird” and pay it forward when their moment to shine came.

An talented group of nominees waited to see who secured the award for best actor, and Eddie Redmayne’s portrayal of the renowned Stephen Hawking in “The Theory of Everything” took home the gold. His adorable acceptance speech attributed his success to his team and the Hawking family, and he promised to keep the Oscar safe for them.

Julianne Moore received the Oscar for her role in “Still Alice,” shedding light on those dealing with Alzheimer’s. “I read an article that winning an Oscar could lead to living five years longer,” she said. “If that’s true, I’d really like to thank the academy because my husband is younger than me.”

The most coveted award of the night went to “Birdman” a quirky comedy about a washed up actor for best motion picture. It also snagged three other awards: best cinematography, best original screenplay and best director went to Mexican filmmaker Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.

“Maybe next year the government will inflict immigration restrictions,” said Innaritu, alluding to last year’s winner, Alfonso Cuaron. “Two Mexicans in a row. That’s suspicious, I guess.”

All in all, the night was huge success with meaningful speeches and touching performances honoring movies that bond us together through our fascination and love for cinema.

@ChronyArts