Softball notes: Dickman continues to be a leader for Utah

Center fielder and captain Kate Dickman has continued to make the most of her senior season. She has extended her hitting streak to 15 games and is the clear leader of this Ute softball team.

The senior for the Utes has a batting average of .479 so far this season, and there’s no sign of it slowing down anytime soon. Additionally, Dickman is second on the team in total runs scored with 14 and has a team-high of 23 hits. Dickman has recorded four doubles and two triples, also adding two home runs thus far in the young season.

RELATED: UTES HIT A NUMBER OF MILESTONES IN WEEKEND CLASSIC

“I feel really comfortable and confident [at the plate],” Dickman said. “I just feel that I’m seeing the ball really well.”

While it is still early, Dickman and the rest of the team could not have asked for a better performance to start off the season.

Dickman also contributed some of her hitting success to the confidence she has in the other hitters on the team.

“I have my team behind me that I know can get the job done if I’m not able to,” Dickman said.

Hogue hits a milestone

Utah head coach Amy Hogue recorded a coaching milestone over the tournament last weekend. Hogue, who is regerred to by her players as “Coach A,” won her 200th game as the Utah coach.

Hogue is in her eighth season as the head coach of the Utes and she really has the team heading in the right direction early on in the season. Despite the milestone, Hogue was very quick to push the accomplishment off to the side.

“Yeah that’s cool, but I never recorded a single hit in any of those games,” Hogue responded when asked about the milestone. “If you’ve been at a program long enough, you’ll get that many wins.”

Hogue has led her team to some quality wins early on in 2015, most recently being a top-10 victory over Tennessee last weekend.

The athletes love playing for Hogue and the way she coaches in games.

“I like how she doesn’t yell,” freshman pitcher Miranda Viramontes said. “Coming from a yeller, it didn’t work well for me at all. It helps us not to get as frazzled over something.”

Awards for Donovan

Freshman pitcher Katie Donovan has amped up the Utah pitching rotation this season and the rest of the conference is starting to take notice.

After going 2-0 last week, highlighted by tossing a no-hitter against Nevada, Donovan was named the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week. To follow up that impressive performance, the freshman decided to go the distance in her next start, allowing just three hits in Utah’s upset-win over the Vols.

@brock_jensen02