Fans to Delon: Thank you

Just two years ago the scene outside the Huntsman Center was something only in dreams.

On Friday morning Jimmy Soto, the radio color analyst for Utah basketball, tweeted a picture of the first few tents outside the Utes’ home arena, and asked, “When was the last time we saw this outside JMHC?”

It’s been awhile.

RELATED: BACHYNSKI AND WRIGHT ARE IN FOR EMOTIONAL SENIOR NIGHT

Under Larry Krystkowiak, the Runnin’ Utes have gone from Pac-12 doormat to having a showdown against Arizona that could help them earn a share of the conference title.

But though the camp city outside of the Huntsman bears his name, “Krystkowiakville” may not have a population without Delon Wright.

For two years Wright has awed the Huntsman Center crowd and on Saturday night the junior college transfer will play his final game in the arena he helped refill, and in front of the fans that he re-energized.

In honor of senior night, The Daily Utah Chronicle caught up with some students and asked them what Wright has meant to the program.

“For the longest time basketball really wasn’t apart of the college experience for the students that came here, it was just football and he has brought that back. People get excited about basketball now, like we went to the Vegas tournament last year. It was fun and he made it fun.”

— Connor Hyde, junior, Marketing

“Thanks for coming here, thanks for turning things around and sticking with it and being part of the program.”

— Andrew Fox, second year student at Utah’s S.J. Quinney College of Law

“He’s a leveled key guy, he’s humble. You appreciate a guy who comes in and turns a program around and doesn’t expect fame and makes his teammates better. We really wouldn’t be here without him. Him staying another year to help our team was a huge difference for us, we couldn’t have done it without him, him and Coach K.”

Daniel Rueckert, junior, Sports Management

“I love you Delon, you’re going to do great things with your life. Whatever NBA team you are o, I’m buying that jersey. You are a great man.”

— Jay T. Anderson, sophomore, Honor Finance and Marketing

“I was at every game last season and I was like…. but this season was awesome. Thank you for rejuvenating the whole college experience for everyone and bringing back what college sports is all about and getting the fans involved.”

— Nikki Sithivong, sophomore, Multi-Disciplinary Design

“Thank you for making Utah basketball so exciting, last season compared to this one it’s a whole different wold. I think a lot of that is Delon, and it’s going to be sad to see him him go. I hope we can fair well without him but it’s going to be tough.”

— Hans Harris, sophomore

Wright isn’t the only senior and Hyde, Fox and Rueckert wanted to make sure Dallin Bachynski wasn’t forgotten, and gave a hearty “Thanks Dallin.”