Meet the President: Ambra Jackson

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)
(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)

As a kid, Ambra Jackson wanted to grow up to be the president of the United States. The recent ASUU election brought her one step closer to that dream.

WHAT YOU MISSED: MORMON STUDIES PROGRAM FUNDS NEW CLASSES ABOUT LDS RELIGION

Born in Las Vegas, Jackson moved to Utah when she was young and later graduated from Northridge High School. After attending football games at the U she realized her passion for the university.

“I felt like the U offered the most opportunities for me in my undergraduate career,” Jackson said. “I … felt like I would be valued as a student on this campus despite its large population.”

After being accepted to the U, Jackson was involved with ASUU’s First Year Council. There, Jackson met her future running mate, Anthony Fratto.

“Ambra was one of the first friends I made in college, and I knew I found someone who I could relate to,” Fratto said. “We instantly connected in Freshmen Council, and I think we both knew we found our running mate in one another.”

Jackson also serves as the current Panhellenic President of Greek Council, a member of Pi Beta Phi, One Love Ski and Snowboard Club and as a MUSS member. Through her involvement in multiple organizations across campus, Jackson said she feels like she has the ability to connect students to resources and campus organizations that help them feel invested in the U.

The recent election fulfilled a dream Jackson has had since she entered the university. She officially decided to run for president last summer and began planning and organizing. She said her favorite part of the election process was tabling and meeting people from across campus.

Jackson said it was exciting to see their hard work pay off when the election results were announced.

“The most appealing part of being student body president is being able to be the student representation of a university this large to faculty, staff and other institutions,” Jackson said.

Jackson already has plans on initiatives she would like to begin when she takes office at the beginning of the upcoming school year.

“The first thing we will do is to create marketing for the members of the legislative branch for their respective colleges,” Jackson said. “We will also begin the Council of Student Leaders leading up to the Fall Semester once the new leadership across the campus has been settled.”

Fratto said he believes Jackson knows how to address difficult issues and will stand by the decisions she knows are best for the U.

“Ambra is everything you want in a leader,” Fratto said. “I am truly grateful to not only call her my running mate but my best friend.”

Jackson said she wants to be remembered as someone who helped others find their place on campus.

@mary_royal [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]