Dorm Furniture Lingers in Limbo

(Photo by Chris Samuels)
(Photo by Chris Samuels)

Every year, U housing holds a furniture expo with various tables, living room sets and bathroom equipment for students to vote for and hopefully include in their future dorms, university apartments and shared common spaces.

However, Rian Plummer, an employee in the housing office is unfamiliar with where the furniture from previous expos has gone.

“The furniture expo that we had last year was to show different options in the PHC,” Plummer said. “They haven’t, to my knowledge, implemented any of the furniture into the dorms.”

The U offers three different dorm locations for freshman students, three different apartment options for upperclassmen and an off-campus option, Downtown Commons. The Marriott Honors Dorms are available to honor students. Last year, current residents were asked to vote on what furniture they would like to see selected for future dorms. Students haven’t seen any change since voting last spring.

This year’s expo had examples of what the future Lassonde Studios will look like. Lassonde Studios is set to open Fall 2016 and is directed towards students who participate in entrepreneurship and innovation, Plummer said.

“It is important for those who will potentially be living there to have a say in the furniture and housing situation,” Plummer said.

Katie Talda, a sophomore in biology, said she remembers voting under a different pretense.

“I thought we were voting on what would replace the furniture that was in the current dorms for the incoming freshmen; however, they never did anything with it,” Talda said.

With the construction of the new dorms underway, Talda thinks they should do more for the current dorms as well.

“Dorms such as Sage Point and Chapel Glen and even the upperclassmen’s apartments won’t be nearly as nice as the new area that is targeted at one specific group of students,” she said.

Currently, U housing is holding a smaller expo in their office. Plummer said the display is for students and parents to view and the furniture may potentially be placed in the dorms.

@JulianneSkrivan