Softball: Utes finding success all over the diamond

softball.jpg

Utah’s Katie Donovan is making the most of her freshman campaign at the U, most evident by her most recent outing over the weekend, in which Cal batters had their fair share of empty at-bats. Donovan pitched in each game of the series and came away with some impressive numbers on the mound.

“Katie was huge for us this weekend,” head coach Amy Hogue said. “I feel like she is really hitting her stride.”

Donovan pitched 13 innings and struck out 17 batters during that stride, adding a win and a save in the process. The save gave Donovan her fourth of the season, which is the most by any Utah player since 2006. With conference play just beyond the halfway point, Donovan will likely continue to add to that total.

The freshman has been an instrumental part of the success that Utah has seen this season. Donovan is 10-6 on the year with a 2.51 ERA over a team-high 134 innings of work. She is also holding opposing hitters to a .227 batting average.

While Donovan has been great, she hasn’t been the only Utah pitcher essential to Utah’s success. Fellow freshma Miranda Viramontes has been an integral part of the pitching staff as well, also with a 10-6 record on the season. She has a similarly-low ERA of 2.96 and has only allowed six home runs in 90 innings pitched.

Viramontes was also in the spotlight recently when she won Pac-12 Freshman of the Week last week, where she registered a 2-0 record against Stanford and struck out nine Cardinal batters.

Viramontes and Donovan have now both earned the honor for the Utes, as Donovan did so back in late February.

“[Donovan and Viramontes] have brought us a step higher than we were last year,” outfielder Maddy Woodard said. “The pitching has really given us confidence as hitters.”

Woodard isn’t the only player that feels that way about the Utah pitching. Third baseman Kristen Stewart had similar thoughts on her teammates.

“It’s been really cool to see these freshmen come in and throw at such a high level,” she said.

A strong pitching rotation is pivotal in finding success, but someone needs to score. The Utes have been hitting the ball well at the plate recently, specifically sophomore Hannah Flippen. The team captain is currently admist a 14-game hitting streak that dates back to the start of Utah’s series with McNeese State.

Flippen has hit very well recently and has helped provide Utah with quick starts in games. She is most effective in the leadoff spot for the Utes and has given them important sparks when they team has needed it.

“Both Hannah and Dickman are some of the best leaders that I’ve ever had. They help push us in every aspect of the game, and I look up to them as captains.” freshman Heather Bowen said.

The second baseman is hitting .362 for the Utes, and she will look to add to her streak in the coming weeks.

@brock_jensen02