Basketball: Runnin’ Utes, Krystkowiak agree on extension

Coach K 2.jpg

Going to the Sweet Sixteen has its perks — just ask Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak.

Just two weeks after leading the Runnin’ Utes to Houston, the Utah athletic office announced that it is extending Krystkowiak’s contract through 2022-23 worth $2.4 million per year. Athletic director Dr. Chris Hill made the announcement Wednesday afternoon and had nothing but praise for the Jim Phelan Coach of the Year finalist.

“Our men’s basketball program has made tremendous strides these past four seasons under Coach Krystkowiak,” said Hill. “The success of a program starts with its head coach and he has provided outstanding leadership for our student-athletes. Larry is aware of his value to our program. It is clear that his success has been noted throughout the country and we are pleased to be able to solidify his commitment to our program.”

Utah is coming off of its most successful campaign since the mid-2000s, registering a 26-9 record and finishing at No. 15 in the final USA Today Coaches Poll. Additionally, the Utes finished third in the Pac-12, their best finish since joining the Conference of Champions.

After getting by Stephen F. Austin and Georgetown in consecutive rounds of the NCAA tournament, Utah fell to Duke, the eventual national champion in the Sweet Sixteen. But Ute fans can hold their heads high knowing that the Runnin’ Utes finished within six points of the Blue Devils, their lowest margin of win save the national championship game.

In the press conference after that Duke game, Krystkowiak mentioned how he wasn’t thinking about the next step for him and this program, opting to be in the moment with his team. Well, the head coach just made his next move and had this to say about the extension:

“I want to thank Dr. Hill and President Pershing for their amazing support of the men’s basketball team,” Krystkowiak said. “We always speak about the culture within our program and a big part of that is realizing who we are. I’m a big believer in those I work for, those I work with, and the student-athletes I get to coach. This is an amazing university with an incredible basketball program one which I feel very proud and humbled to be a part of.”

@GriffDoug