(Photo by Brent Uberty)
(Photo by Brent Uberty)
(Photo by Brent Uberty)

WHAT TO BUY

NRS Pilot Knife: $50

Personally, I always like to have a knife on me. The NRS Pilot Knife is a quality-built tool made of stainless steel, so it won’t rust — even when your kayak is filled with water. The glass-reinforced nylon sheath keeps the knife in place until you press the easy-to-use release. Best of all, it comes with a bottle opener so you can enjoy a cold brewskie after your day on the river.

The Keen Clearwater CNX Water Shoes: $100

Water shoes are sometimes a sensitive subject. Some people love them, others hate them. I’ve recently become a firm believer in my Clearwater CNX shoes. With a lightweight build and sturdy construction, they are a must for any kayaking trip. The shoes feature a durable webbed top and a comfortable rubber bottom with easily adjustable bungee laces. Ultimately, they do what any good water shoes should: protect your toes and dry quickly.

WHAT TO RENT

Livery Universal PFD by Extrasport: $5.60 per day

The Livery Universal personal flotation device (PFD), or life jacket, is solid all-around. I’m a big guy, and I’ve had my fair share of uncomfortable PFDs. But this one is designed for anyone who wants to enjoy his/her time on the water. It has comfortable shoulder straps, adjustable front buckles, nice side straps, and utility hooks on both sides to ensure you’re comfortable.

The Wave Sport Diesel 70: $50 for the weekend

The Wave Sport Diesel 70 is a beast. With a manageable weight of 43 pounds and a length of eight feet, you can’t ask for a better whitewater kayak. It includes a welded-in hull beam, comfortable seating, and a decent amount of leg room. The kayak also comes in some pretty rad colors.

Note: Rental prices are based off Outdoor Adventures’ student pricing. Check them out on campus in the new Student Life Center or give them a call at 801.581.8516.

b.uberty@chronicle.utah.edu

@brentuberty