Oreo truffles: Easy dessert, crowd favorite

“Hey Calli, when are you going to make those Oreo truffles?”

Those are the words that often greet me as soon as I walk into a friend’s apartment. The first time I made Oreo truffles, I thought they were pretty good. But it wasn’t until my friends took a bite that I knew this recipe was one to keep in the books.

I have made Oreo truffles for my friends so many times you would think they’d get sick of them. But without fail, they satisfy the sweet cravings of hungry college students.

The recipe is quite simple. There are only three ingredients. The only downside is that this dessert does take a little bit of time, but in the end, it is definitely worth it.

Ingredients:

2 packages of double-stuffed Oreos

1 package (8 ounces) of cream cheese

Vanilla almond bark

The first thing to do when making Oreo truffles is to finely crush the Oreos. If you have a food processor, that is best. Otherwise, a blender will work just as well. Leave out some crushed Oreo crumbs to use later.

After all the Oreos are crushed completely, mix in all of the cream cheese. I’ve found this works better when the cream cheese has been warmed first. You can use a spoon to mix the cream cheese, but I suggest using your hands. It can turn into a big mess but is the most effective way to mix the Oreos and cream cheese.

Now you can start forming the shape of the truffles. Roll the Oreo and cream cheese mixture into about one-inch balls and place them on a pan covered with parchment paper.

When you have rolled all of the mixture into separate balls, place the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes. While you wait, you can start to melt the almond bark.

After 15 minutes have passed, take the truffles out of the freezer. Take a spoon and dip the truffles into the almond bark, covering the entire ball. Sprinkle the crushed Oreo crumbs that you saved on the covered truffles.

Put the truffles back into the fridge to keep them from softening. The truffles will be ready to serve.

The great thing with Oreo truffles is that with all the different kinds of Oreos, you can create a new taste each time, if you like. Also, testing out different kinds of chocolate and almond bark to dip the truffles in is a great way to change the dessert up a little bit.

Oreo truffles are definitely a crowd favorite and are perfect for group gatherings. Be prepared for your friends to constantly ask you to make more. You’ve been warned.

@ChronyArts