The U’s overpriced food selections fail to accommodate “poor college students”

Universities all over the country are home to “poor” students, and by “poor” I mean either having a lot of student loans (which equates to having a lot of debt) or simply living below means by taking the cheap way out.

Along with paying tuition, college students are faced with the additional prices of textbooks and other fees. Yes, you can sell these textbooks back at the end of the semester, but the original price is usually never refunded. Students are also compelled to purchase an electronic device that allows them to connect to sites such as Canvas for weekly assignments, tests or quizzes.

Along with money and class stress, students are faced with the necessary task of maintaining their physical strength and psychological health.

Students also have to purchase food.

Unfortunately, though there are many cafes and snack booths on campus, the U doesn’t lighten this burden by making food prices affordable.

If you visit the “snack place” in OSH you will find insanely overpriced food. A cheese stick is selling for over a dollar when a package of 12 to 24 cheese sticks normally sells for $4 to $5. When you do the math this equates to less than 50 cents a cheese stick.

At Mom’s Cafe in the Marriott Library you will also find overpriced items. A Yoplait yogurt is selling for over a dollar when they can be purchased at grocery stores for under a dollar.

The Union, which is home to chains like Panda Express and Einstein’s Bagels, also has their own selection of food products. These too come at a high price.

Students living on campus are “privileged” to have a meal plan. Trips to the Peterson Heritage Center offer a buffet with a wide variety of food; however, it is apparent that the PHC does not follow the “quality over quantity” rule. Basically, the food sucks.

The “flex” spending money that is awarded to students with the purchase of meal plans is nice because it can allow for a chance for good food. However, the money doesn’t last long, as food is so expensive. One of the perks of flex dollars is that there is no tax, but the U should do more to help, or at least offer the same quality of food at the PHC that they do elsewhere on campus.

I understand the concept of raising prices to make a profit, but a huge university gaining money from students in so many other ways should be able to loosen up in some areas, like the price of food, to help the struggling students out.

Perhaps a student’s best bet is to invest in a mini fridge and make weekly trips to the grocery store to purchase these food items at a reasonable price.