Apple’s overpriced products suggest corporate elitism

The release of the long-awaited Apple Watch predictably has Apple fans in a frenzy.

Apple diehards have had to patiently wait months since the announcement of the Apple Watch while their Android counterparts have been flaunting their digital wrist candy for several years. While Apple may not always be first to the party with innovative products they always manage to make a splash by arriving fashionably late. However this most recent Apple release is more than just an example of the company trying to improve on the wheel — it marks the return of the once-trademark elitism forged by the late Steve Jobs.

Jobs took a proactive approach to innovation, launching groundbreaking devices like the iPod and the iPhone. Current Apple CEO Tim Cook has chosen to take the company in a different direction that involves watching other companies release innovative products while Apple remains content with reinventing the wheel. Curiously, Cook has also taken a more inclusive approach with the company by bucking the high-priced elitist formula and releasing a more affordable iPhone 5C.

The release of the Apple Watch is being considered the first innovative product under Cook’s leadership. While Android has had smart watches out for nearly two years, they have been slow to gain traction among users as only 720,000 Android Wear watches were sold in 2014 — representing only a small fraction of those who own Android smartphones. As a result, many people consider the impending Apple Watch release as the first mainstream wide-scale attempt to introduce a smart watch to the masses. With this in mind, Cook is channeling his inner Jobs and reintroducing the high-end elitist approach with an Apple product release.

The Apple Watch was originally announced this past September along with the iPhone 6 but was not given an official release date, leaving the product shrouded in mystery and generating a significant amount of buzz. Recently, Apple revealed an exorbitant price point and a decidedly elitist way of allowing customers to pre-order the device. The price points on the Apple Watch run from $350 for an entry level model to nearly $17,000 for its gold edition version. Customers are required to set an appointment for a showing and fitting following a method used by high-end luxury retailers. In another break from previous product launches, Apple is only allowing the watch to be pre-ordered online, effectively doing away with the long lines that have been an Apple product release trademark.

Apple is employing a scarcity approach with a price point that will also scare away the average consumer. Unlike the philosophy behind the ill-fated iPhone 5C for the common consumer, Apple is taking aim directly at its high-end customer base that has the type of income for a $17,000 watch. Apparently the strategy is working, as rumors estimate Apple has already sold nearly 2.3 million units, which more than doubles all of Android Wear watch sales for 2014. So for you Apple diehards who were frugally saving your pennies for an Apple Watch, you may want to think about saving a few more — but at least this time you won’t have to wait in line to buy one.