Football: Young Utes look to shine in Red-White scrimmage

football.jpg

Utah held its last practice of spring camp on Thursday, leading up to Saturday’s Red-White game. Players took this practice lighter than others — they didn’t wear pads and seemed to be saving their energy for Saturday.

Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham said there will be about a dozen guys not participating in Saturday’s game because the coaching staff doesn’t want to risk injury. Some of these players include Kenneth Scott, Jason Whittingham, Isaac Asiata and Devontae Booker.

This will give more of the newer players a chance to shine.

“It gives the young guys an opportunity to step up and show what they can do,” Whittingham said.

Tyrone Smith, a true freshman at wide receiver, said he has learned a lot through this spring and hopes to garner some more attention by hauling in a few touchdowns.

“[My goals are] just knowing all my plays and executing,” Smith said.

Since the players are being split up, the majority of them think the game will be both fun and competitive.

“[I’m looking forward to it] a lot,” Smith said. “It’s my first spring game and it’ll be fun just competing against the other side.”

The players split up into their teams at the end of practice, but with the offensive line not having too many players to choose from, they will be playing for both sides. Other than this, no other players should be playing for both teams.

Linebacker Sharrieff Shah Jr. said he cannot wait to go back out on the field for the final time this spring. He is hoping to make some big plays for the defense.

“I’m excited,” Shah said. “It’s a chance for us to go out there and have some fun against each other and go all out.”

Whittingham said he is expecting his defense to show a good front considering all the work defensive coordinator John Pease has put in with them this off-season.

“We’ve had a few tweaks, but [Pease] put his stamp on the defense,” Whittingham said. “He’s a fan of the odd fronts. Couple new blitzes that we really like and things that have helped us there. Coverages haven’t changed a whole lot, but the mentality of turnovers and stripping the ball, he’s really emphasized that.”

Cornerback coach Sharrieff Shah said he is proud of what his guys have been able to do so far — the only problem he has is that he wants to continue working with them.

“Wish we had a little bit more time to refine,” Shah said. “When you feel like your boys are starting to play well and understand some of the things you’ve been pounding on them, they finally start to get it … Happy with the progress we’ve made since day one.”

A lot of former Utes will be in attendance and Whittingham said this only adds to the team’s excitement.

“Always great to have alumni around,” Whittingham said. “We could not be more proud about our alumni and we’ve got a great relationship with them and we feel that they have a great relationship with us.”

Before things get going on Saturday, the MUSS will be playing a flag football game and Whittingham said he will be keeping his eye on that after recruiting the MVP from last year’s game to his team.

“I’ll be out there scouting,” Whittingham said. “We’ll see what we got this year and if there’s someone who stands out then they may very well get the nod.”

Travis Wilson will be taking command of the Red side and Chase Hansen will be leading the White come Saturday afternoon in Rice-Eccles Stadium at 1 p.m.

@kbrenneisen