U Medical Center Advances Ovarian Cancer Research

(Courtesy of University of Utah Health Care)

Advancements at the U’s medical center could make it easier to diagnose ovarian cancer.

For the past 30 years, the science behind the treatment has remained unchanged. Usually by the time ovarian cancer is detected it’s already in the advanced stages, due to poor prognosis techniques and outdated information. Once diagnosed, fewer than 10 percent of patients have even a five-year survival rate.

Presently, most new cases of ovarian cancer can’t be detected until they have reached the tumor stage. When the cancer has progressed to this point, it can only be combatted with rigorous and intensive treatment.

New research being conducted at the U’s medical center has taken the fight against ovarian cancer to the DNA level. Researchers have started to look at ways cancer can be detected early, so women can be tested for any abnormalities in their genetic code.

Ovarian cancer is most prevalent in women over 45 years old, and new DNA treatment can be used to give more accurate prognosis results to those who have already been diagnosed. The tests can distinguish long, short and medium range stages of ovarian cancer which determines what treatment options are best suited for individual patients.

A statement released by Orly Alter, ovarian research team leader, said they believe this “is a first step toward bringing ovarian cancer into the age of precision medicine.”

The ovarian cancer data Alter and her team used to start their research was published in 2011 medical journals. Alter said it is possible that the tools to discover more about cancer may already be published in research but with a difference in analysis of the figures.

Through algorithms, Alter and her team were able to separate cancer causing cells from the benign ones. Alter said this process can be used to detect a multitude of abnormalities and are not exclusive to this research. Similar mathematical formulas were used by Alter to further her research of glioblastoma.

Paedahni Dy, a junior in political science, said she looks forward to more advancements being made.

“As a woman I always pay attention to stories that can possibly affect my future,” Dy said. “Maybe one day we will progress to the point where cancer won’t be such a heavy word but just an unfortunate distant memory.”

@mary_royal