Satire: Students work hard to pass upcoming dorm inspections

It is time to start moving out of the dorms, and most students have a lot of work to do. They’ve got to help their friends patch the holes in the walls from the time they played roller hockey in Chapel Glen 802 and mask the giant “you-know-what” stain their roommates left on the carpet during that party in October. You have to pass RA inspection to avoid large repair fees and it’s time to get your hands dirty.

Manny Queso is worried the nacho cheese he spilled under his bed three months ago isn’t going to come out of the carpet.

“I tried using one of those Swiffer Sweepers, but I think that just made it worse,” Queso said. “The RAs are sure to see it, and I have no idea what to do. I might just have to spray it with Febreze until I can’t smell it any more. Then I will be in half as much trouble as I would have been. It’s foolproof.”

Ashlee Red says she is ready for the inspection.

“My Taylor Swift poster left some blue, sticky stuff on the wall, but I think it will come off with nail polish remover. Or I can just leave the poster up. I mean, it’s T-Swift. It should stay up forever,” Red said.

Red’s room seems like it will pass inspection, despite the mind-numbing smell. “My suitemates and I sprayed all our perfume in the room so it will smell nice for the RAs.”

The students in the Marriott Honors Dorms had the luxury of having their apartment-style dorms cleaned once a month to ensure that the common space and kitchen will be clean for the next group of students. Despite the routine cleanings, students living in the Honors Dorms face large cleaning challenges.

Sasha Juicer is worried about the RA inspection.

“We had a bit of an accident with our blender last November. Let’s just say someone forgot to put the lid on, and there is still banana on our ceiling. Nobody noticed it until it was dried and stuck up there for good. It looks kind of cool, though,” Juicer said.

Juicer’s kitchen looks good, but her bedroom is atrocious.

“I never really cleaned my bedroom because I could just escape it by hanging out in the living room. No one ever came to clean our bedrooms, so let’s just say I have a lot of work to do,” she said.

Honors student Jimmy Tidy can’t wait for the RA dorm inspection.

“I never unpacked when I moved in,” Tidy said. “I used dishes and then put them back into their boxes. I washed my clothes and put them back into their boxes. I kept all of my food in a box on the floor of our pantry and ate it as I pleased. I never hung any posters or slept in my bed. I just slept on the floor in the living room so my room would look just like it did when I moved in. I’m hoping to get an ‘A’ on my inspection.”

As if finals weren’t enough, moving out may be the hardest test this semester.