All Chay: all the flavor and none of the meat

IMG_20150524_134255693.jpg
BBQ noodle bowl Photo credit: Forrest Rhinehart

All Chay is a newly-open vegan Vietnamese restaurant in the Rose Park neighborhood of Salt Lake City. Though the location is somewhat underrated, the warm welcome you receive when walking in the door more than makes up for the lackluster exterior.

The owner is warm and friendly, and more than willing to talk you through the menu and explain the concept of the all-vegan Vietnamese dishes. We decided on a large bowl of pho noodle soup, a barbecue noodle bowl, the All Chay banh mi sandwich and the spicy lemongrass dish. It was more than enough food for a table of four. The dishes came out steaming and were piled high with vibrant, fresh ingredients.

The crispy rolls were a hot commodity as was the pho, which had a broth so flavorful it made you forget that the ‘meat’ was actually plant-based. The barbecue noodle salad sported fresh, crisp vegetables that mingled well with the rice noodles and sweet sauce that you could drizzle or pour on the dish. Another high point was the bahn mi sandwich. It was a flavorful blend of lemongrass and soy-based meat, topped with a crisp cucumber slice and surrounded by a soft roll. We tried the vegan flan to top it all off; cold with plenty of vanilla, it was a refreshingly light take on the classic dessert, though the texture could take a little getting used to.

If you’re seeking a hot bowl of soup or some noodles and fresh veggies and would rather avoid the meat, All Chay is a friendly and flavorful option.

IMG_20150524_134235026.jpg
All Chay Bahn Mi Photo credit: Forrest Rhinehart
IMG_20150524_140238096.jpg
Vegan Vietnamese Flan (…!) Photo credit: Forrest Rhinehart