Career fair provides students a chance to find jobs, internships

Trying to find a job after graduation? Look no further than the Union Ballroom on June 2.

From 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. the U’s Alumni Association is hosting the HireSLC Alumni-Only Career Fair. Recent graduates will have the chance to meet with more than 80 company representatives to land a dream job.

Leslie Smith , a junior in English, loves attending similar career fairs at the U. She’s found two different internships by doing so.

“Last year, I worked in the New York City office of Goldman Sachs,” Smith said. “It was such an eye-opening experience. I was able to live in New York, be a part of a prestigious company and learn things outside of Utah.”

After her first job fair, Smith made some changes in her approach. She said that is what has made her successful.

“The first time I went I was unprepared. I walked into the ballroom wearing jeans and a T-shirt with no resumes or anything in hand,” she said. “The next time I went, I ironed a nice blouse and formatted my resume nicely.”

For those who can’t attend the June fair, Career Services will host other career fairs in August and September for all students.

Career Services will also be unveiling a new app that will allow students to sign in for the fair, read about which employers are present and find out what positions are available to them. Students will be able to type in the name of the employer they are looking for and be given exact directions to where that table is in Union.

For more information on the upcoming career fairs or where to find jobs on campus, go to careers.utah.edu.