Pride festival set to take Salt Lake by storm

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Pride Festival Graphic

Washington and Liberty Square is home to some of Utah’s greatest summer celebrations. With the Living Traditions festival in May and the Arts Festival slated for July, the venue promises uplifting, inclusive fun for people from all walks of life. Heralded as the location’s loudest, proudest event, the Utah Pride Festival is a consistent summer highlight for many Salt Lake residents. This year’s celebration of Utah’s diverse LGBTQ community will be no exception.

The event runs from Friday, June 5 to Sunday, June 7 and will include the usual supply of outrageous fun. Kicking off with a day of marches and rallies, this year’s event is working to raise awareness and support for community members who identify as dyke, trans*, sexually fluid or poly. In the recent national push for LGBTQ rights, these people are often overlooked in the fight for equality.

Following the marches and rallies will be the Utah Pride Festival’s first annual Opening Ceremony and Kick-Off party, where people can enjoy bright colors, beating drums and a fire show along with an unforgettable flag ceremony. Tickets are $5 and will also grant access to “the kind of party only Pride can throw” immediately after, which will be headlined by MiNX.

Saturday will proceed as any Washington/Liberty Square festival does. Gates will open at 3 p.m. and there will be a wide variety of activities for families and friends as well as a number of performances on each of the stages surrounding the City and County building (where special guest DEV will headline at 8 p.m.).

Sunday is when the real festivities will begin, however, with a 5k Fun Run at 9 a.m. followed by the famous Pride Parade, where local businesses and leaders will roll through the streets of Salt Lake City to celebrate its social, sexual and gendered diversity.

No matter how you identify, the Utah Pride Festival 2015 will be a joyous occasion for everyone. Be sure to check out the event’s website for tickets and pricing, and have a proud weekend.

@ChronyArts[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]