Although thrilling, “Brilliance” leaves something to be desired

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Every so often, someone incredibly gifted comes into this world and never goes out of it. Their name is permanently engraved into this earth because of their accomplishments. Think of individuals such as Beethoven, Einstein and Hawking. People like this are rare, but what if they weren’t? What if one in every six babies was born with phenomenal musical abilities akin to Beethoven’s? Or with the ability to revolutionize modern science with a breakthrough similar to Einstein’s theory of relativity?

bk_brilliance

Marcus Sakey explores this hypothetical question in his book Brilliance. The ordinary people born with extraordinary gifts in Sakey’s novel, called “brilliants,” each have a specialized skill, such as being a human lie detector or being able to master a new instrument in just minutes. More specifically, this novel is about one man, Agent Nick Cooper, a brilliant and a government agent tasked with hunting and even killing other brilliants that the government deems a risk to society.

Though compelling and action-packed, Brilliance is really just a thinly-veiled metaphor for the way America treats those who are different. The brilliants in his novel, also offhandedly referred to as “abnorms”, are hunted and killed out of fear. Though the statement the book makes is thought-provoking, it’s nothing new.

Despite the clichés behind the book, the plot is thrilling. The book is filled with plot twists and cliffhangers, so it is almost impossible to put down. Furthermore, Sakey has an exceptional ability for writing action sequences, which make for a fast-paced novel. Like action movies such as Transformers or Fast and Furious, this book should be taken at surface level. In spite of the author’s intentions, those seeking deep meaning behind the action might more profitably seek it from George Orwell or Ray Bradbury.

@ChronyArts

Image from: www.marcussakey.com[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]