Food, music and more at the downtown farmers market

(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)
Kiffer Creveling
(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”2620342″ border_color=”grey” img_link_large=”” img_link_target=”_self”][vc_column_text]When I think about summer, warm images of mornings spent at the downtown farmers market are some of the first to cross my mind. The market at Pioneer Park in downtown Salt Lake is a cultural hub, offering everything from fresh foods to handmade jewelry.

Though the market is not strictly a summer affair, with a winter market taking place at the Rio Grande depot, the summer market on Saturdays is what draws the crowds — not only crowds of hungry patrons, but also crowds of friendly vendors. The best part about the festival for any foodie are the generous samples you can find while winding your way through the booths. One can score juicy, seasonal fruit slices, golden local honey, a taste of fresh lemonade and many other delicious morsels. After giving in and buying half the things you tasted, you can cross the street out of the market and join the line at Bruges Waffles and Frites. By far my favorite way to top off a trip to the farmers market is one of these top-notch waffles eaten on the rooftop patio located just next to the restaurant. If you’re at all into people-watching, this patio offers a perfect vantage point of the market and has big umbrellas to keep you from baking in the sun.

Though food is a major part of the farmers market, there is much more to experience. The arts and crafts market takes up a large section of the park’s lawn as well. There are various skilled artisans sporting their wares. Everything from clothing, soaps, ceramics and metalwork to painting and photography populate this part of the event. There are so many beautiful little things to look at that it becomes easy to spend copious amounts of time, and money, in the arts and crafts portion. But even if you have no money to spend, it is worth the time to just look at, touch and smell all the beautiful wares.

The market is far from silent; music at the market is an essential part of the whole affair. With a stage for the scheduled bands set up in the center of the market, the music is easy to take in. There are both these scheduled performers and spontaneous street performers. This combination means that each Saturday at the market has something new to groove to. Whether you’re plopping down in the shade to take in the organized band or just enjoying it as background while you stroll by, the music enhances the upbeat summer vibes that characterize the farmers market.

The downtown farmers market is a favorite local spot on summer Saturday mornings. The central location and diverse offerings mean there is never a lack of people to meet, things to see and foods to taste.

The first farmers market of the season kicks off on Saturday, June 13 at 8 a.m. and continues every Saturday until October 24 from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m.. Do yourself a favor and take a walk downtown one of these Saturdays — it may become your favorite new summer tradition.

@ChronyArts[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_empty_space height=”32px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_facebook type=”standard”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_tweetmeme type=”horizontal”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_empty_space height=”32px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]You may also like:[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_empty_space height=”32px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][post_grid category=”4″ posts_per_page=”2″ offset=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]