New Music Monday: George Ezra

Twenty-two-year-old English singer-songwriter, George Ezra, ignited his popularity with the song “Budapest,” which is climbing the charts. His soulful, deep voice and folk sound make him one to look out for these next few years.

Ezra began his music career in 2011 and has released two EPs and one debut studio album, “Wanted on Voyage.” Though his list of albums is short, don’t underestimate his talent. I predict enormous success and popularity for Ezra.

After immediately falling in love with “Budapest,” I had to look more into this young folk singer, and the songs I found seemed to fit right into my playlists.

I normally look for alternative rock bands and artists with unique sounds. Songs by Ezra like “It’s Just My Skin,” “Barcelona” and “Coat of Armour” fit the description of unique sounds. Ezra keeps his songs simple by only using a few chords. His songs are catchy and worth a listen.

Ezra is known as an “Old Soul.” Though he is young, his voice and heart go beyond his years. Just listening to his songs, you would think he would be much older, but he proves that age is just a number.

He can easily be compared to artists like Bob Dylan and Irish rock band Kodaline. Ezra gives a little bit of alternative rock but with a folk blues twist.

Each of his songs tell a story. That’s my favorite thing about Ezra. I love the thought and the emotion each of his songs carry. Each word flows smoothly and eloquently through the music. You can feel the happiness, sadness or excitement in the sounds.

One of my favorite songs of his that proves his talent is “Leaving It Up to You.” The song is sweet. It’s witty. And it tells a story.

Ezra’s most folksy song, in my opinion, would be “Benjamin Twine.” The song starts with Ezra telling about his best friend and ends with him deeply interested in his friend’s sister. “Benjamin Twine” is a funny song about the friendships people gain, the relationships we hope for and the situations we get into.

He even has a music video with actor Ian McKellen, who plays Gandalf in the “Lord of the Rings” films. Ezra’s “Listen to the Man” is another great song and music video.

What makes Ezra the most unique is not just that he’s a young artist killing folk rock, but he’s also just a decent guy. Watching or reading any of his interviews will tell you that. He’s not an artist smothered by fame or glamor. He writes and sings because he loves to do it, and that is what a true artist is all about.