U Teams Up With Pakistan University

The U has partnered with a university in Pakistan to resolve water security issues in the country.

During a formal ceremony on Aug. 11, delegates from the U and the Mehran University of Engineering and Technology entered into a formal agreement to mutually research how the country can best support sustainable water sources.

Funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the potential applications for the project are far-reaching for all fields concerning water usage, such as energy and agriculture.

Along with the research opportunities, the partnership also sets up new graduate degree programs at Mehran University. This will provide exchange opportunities as well as send representatives from the U to Pakistan regularly to train and to lend teaching expertise to the program.

“The hope is that this is a sustainable center,” said Steven Burian, one of the project directors from the U. “We are establishing a partner center here at the university to expand the network of partners.”

The importance of water security expands beyond Pakistan and Utah, Burian said, and the “broad” research conducted is applicable globally.

David Stevenson, a spokesperson at the U, said the scope will allow this project to continue into perpetuity.

“Water is a huge issue and is not going to become less of an issue anytime soon,” he said.

The focus now remains on building resources in Pakistan and creating an example of how other countries can improve water security.

@sarahnlegg