Non-Athletes can no Longer use Meal Plans in Athletic Dining Hall

For students with a meal plan, their options became a little more limited this year.

The athletics dining hall facility in the Spence and Cleone Eccles Football Center will no longer be a part of the main meal plan on campus. Non-athletics students can still purchase food with “flex dollars,” but a limited amount of money has been placed on UCards that can be used at various locations on campus.

Jerry Basford, associate vice president for Student Affairs, said the change was made to promote the space as an area for student athletes.

“The places where [meal card] swipes can be used are in locations where students live; the Peter Heritage Center, the Honors Community,” Basford said. “We expected that people would want to go over [to the athletics dining hall] and eat, and we’re really happy about that, but it doesn’t make much sense for it to be a part of the meal plan.”

Karriann Johnson, a junior in elementary education, said she isn’t pleased with the change, as she thinks the athletic dining hall has some of the best and healthiest meals on campus.

“It makes me angry because while I can still use flex dollars, I feel this change was a response to the athletes complaining last year about more non-athlete students eating at ‘their’ dining hall,” Johnson said. “Since the athletic dining hall is part of Chartwells, we should all be allowed to eat there. And I think it is ridiculous that they are making it harder and harder for everyone else.”

Last year the dining hall was available for meal swipes because campus dining services wanted to test how the facility could handle working under a maximum capacity. Now that the trial period has run its course, dining services wants to refocus on the athletes the building was meant for.

In addition to this switch, flex dollars can now be used at the deli in the new law school, and when the Lassonde Studios opens next year, meal swipes will be available to use there as well.

These are not the only changes to the meal plans in recent years. Two years ago, students living in the dorm swiped for all of their meals. After feedback from the student community saying they disliked using one of their meals around campus, dining services rolled back places to use meal swipes and increased flex dollars for all venues, which vary in number of allotted meals a week.

Johnson said she likes the changes from cross-campus meal swipes to flex dollars and has not been upset about changes to the plans until the most recent change.

“I don’t understand why athletes are getting better meals,” she said. “Athletes should not get better and healthier food just because they are athletes. We all work hard on campus, and the athletes are no different from the rest of us.”

Dining services makes adjustments to the plans depending on student feedback, which they receive as part of an emailed survey once a semester from those living in the residence halls. People who would like to make additional suggestions or requests can contact Chartwells (801-581-7257) or the Housing Office (801-587-2002).