Students Say: Parking is a Pain

To park in the new Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building Garage, be ready to shell out $498 — more than double a normal U permit, which costs $220.

Construction on the central garage started about a year ago as the need for more parking on campus arose. But Dan Hopkins, a senior, said the price isn’t worth it.

“They already charge us $200 to park anywhere,” he said. “The fact that I need to pay more to park under somewhere is ridiculous.”

New parking structure near the Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building on Campus, Wednesday, August 26th, 2015

When the U announced the opening of the new garage, administrators emailed students, encouraging them to use public transportation.

“Avoid the headache of trying to find a parking spot on campus and take alternative transportation,” the message said.

Hopkins said this announcement is confusing: “Why build the lot [then]?”

Leilani Jacobson, a senior, is happy there’s more parking on campus.

“It is nice they built a parking garage already,” she said. “They did need more space.”

@sidneymarchant

like us on facebook