Volleyball: Utah Prepares for Season-Opening Match against Idaho State

The Utah Athletics programs are hard at work, getting ready and making final preparations for their upcoming season debuts. The volleyball team is no exception, as it takes to the court for the start of their 2015-16 campaign at home against Idaho State on Friday.

The match against the Bengals is the first in an event called the Utah Classic, which will run for an 18th year, that also features Cal State Northridge and Lipscomb. The first match against Idaho State will begin at 7 p.m. MT at the Huntsman Center.

The Bengals are a powerhouse of the Big Sky conference and have aspirations to win the conference title. They will attempt the feat with first-year head coach Rick Reynolds. However, the program does have great continuity with last year’s Big Sky conference MVP Tressa Lyman returning, as well as starters Hayley Farrer and Makenzie Filer back in the fold as well. The Bengals won the regular season championship of the Big Sky conference last season, losing just once within the conference, which allowed them to finish with a 23-9 record.

The Utes have been preparing for the challenges the Bengals will present with head coach Beth Launiere, who is entering her 26th season with Utah. With the leadership of returning players, such as Pac-12 All-Freshman first team Adora Anae, Pac-12 Freshman of the Week recipient Eliza Katoa and senior Kendall Cygan, the team has been working toward getting new and redshirt players accustomed to the speed of the game.

The team is welcoming four freshmen in Megan Boudreaux, Berkeley Oblad, Megan Shughrou and Emily Twohig. Some of the returning players include redshirt freshmen Jessie Jorgensen, Emma Kirst and Caroline Sipiora. The team has a lot of youth, and facing an experienced and competitive team in the Idaho State will test them early.

Cygan feels the team has used fall training camp, as well as the last few weeks, to be as prepared as they could be for this week’s home opener.

“I feel we are very prepared,” she said. “Going into the alumni match [last] Saturday night, I was actually surprised that we didn’t have more nerves, everyone kind of came out very calm and solid. I think that’s going to really relate to that game against Idaho State Friday night, because I think everyone is going to be ready to play and not have any nerves. We’re going to be able to execute efficiently. I feel very good about going into this weekend.”

Katoa feels the team has implemented their system well and that returning players have found ways to improve in order to come out on the right side of Friday night’s game.

“I think we put a lot of work into getting better at the game and working on our system,” Katoa said. “I think that when we play against Idaho State, we will be able to demonstrate all our hard work and I think ultimately we worked hard enough to get a win.”

The team is looking to win its eighth consecutive season opener, a streak that began in the 2008 campaign.

@Juanderful88