Football: Five Questions with The Michigan Daily

Utah has hosted a number of big games throughout its rich football history, but none may be bigger than the one on Thursday night when Michigan comes to town. In order to prepare for the huge event, The Utah Chronicle sat down with Zach Shaw, a football beat writer for The Michigan Daily, to get the inside scoop.

Q: Last year, the Utes got the better of Michigan in the Big House. Is this a revenge game for some of the players, and how does the team feel about Utah as an opponent?

ZS: A little, but last season’s loss doesn’t anger the Wolverines as much as Utah fans would probably like. Michigan had a disastrous season both on and off the field last fall and will also have “revenge games” against rivals Ohio State, Michigan State and fellow conference foes Minnesota, Maryland and Rutgers. When you have that many losses, you’re really just trying to win in general, and it doesn’t seem like Michigan is personally offended by the Utah loss.

That said, Michigan has a lot of respect for Utah. Since July, players and coaches have talked about the experience and discipline of the players and winning culture at Utah. They’re very impressed with the defense and have touted the Utes’ mistake-free play across the board. I think fans and the team alike were humbled by the past two seasons, so when Popular Mechanicscalled this a “Cupcake” game for Michigan, it surprised us in Ann Arbor just as much as it did for you guys in Salt Lake City.

Q: All eyes will be on Salt Lake City for Harbaugh’s return to college football. Is this game as hyped in Ann Arbor as it is here in Utah?

ZS: Any remaining sanity left when the khaki-wearing FS1 “Har-bus” left Ann Arbor last week. A really common theme for Michigan this year is a fresh start. Come Thursday, the Wolverines will tout a new head coach, quarterback and a still-relatively-new athletic director in Jim Hackett. At this time last year, students, alumni and fans in general were just about fed up with the old regime and spent the season protesting, booing and boycotting the Wolverines until Brady Hoke and Dave Brandon were gone.

Now Michigan has Hackett — who sealed the most lucrative apparel deal in the country with Nike/Air Jordan in addition to hiring Harbaugh — and Harbaugh, who hangs out with celebrities regularly and has the most-followed Twitter account among college football coaches. By design or not, Harbaugh’s summer antics and pedigree have made this the most-anticipated season opener since the Wolverines opened the 2012 season against Alabama in Dallas. That game went terribly, so the eagerness comes with caution for most fans, but overall everyone is as excited as I’ve seen in years. I think home games still generate the most excitement, but Michigan fans are chomping at the bit to begin the Harbaugh era.

Q: Who will be playing quarterback for the Wolverines, and will said quarterback be able to handle a stout Utah defense?

ZS: Expect to see Iowa graduate transfer Jake Rudock, but also expect the unexpected. Part of Harbaugh’s schtick is secrecy, and his team went into what he called a “submarine” during training camp. They were one of, if not the only team in the country to not speak to media during camp, and the whole team bunked in an air-conditioning and TV-less dorm for three weeks. They’re back now, but the paranoia of giving Utah an advantage remains, and they refuse to reveal who’s winning the quarterback battle between Rudock and junior Shane Morris.

However, Michigan held an open practice to students last Saturday, and Rudock took all first-team reps. You would also think two years of starting for another Big Ten team provides an advantage for Rudock, but I really wouldn’t be surprised to see Morris or the three four star recruits Michigan pulled in the last two seasons take snaps next week.

Whoever gets the nod, they’ll need to use short, safe passes to nickel and dime their way down the field. There will be a new quarterback and no clear No. 1 receiver, so big plays will be few and far between the first few weeks, especially against a Utah team that’s among the best in the country at collecting sacks and turnovers.

Q: What advantages do you think Utah has over Michigan?

ZS: Cohesion and cleanliness, for sure. Michigan was an absolute hot mess on the field last year. Utah fans may remember multiple 10-man punt units taking the field for the Wolverines, and it seems Utah is a well-coached team that does the little things Michigan has been lacking. The offense is still a question mark for Michigan, as it was one of the Wolverines’ worst of all time last fall. The running game couldn’t make anything happen behind an inexperienced offensive line, former quarterback Devin Gardner never looked comfortable in the pocket, and star wide receiver Devin Funchess played through broken bones in his foot all season. The other side of the ball was better but failed to make up for the offensive woes as Michigan had the worst turnover margin of any Power Five program.

That’s tough to change overnight, even for Harbaugh. Until proven otherwise, Utah has the edge in special teams, offense, and mental discipline.

Q: What do the Wolverines have to do to get the win on Thursday night?

ZS: I mentioned what Michigan needs to do offensively if it wants to succeed, but I do think the Wolverines have a solid edge on defense. They return the vast majority of their first, second and third-string players and welcome back Desmond Morgan and Jabrill Peppers from injuries in 2014. Those two, along with Stanford graduate transfer Wayne Lyons, figure to fill the roles of notable departures Jake Ryan and Blake Countess. The former defensive coordinator Greg Mattison and current defensive coordinator DJ Durkin both led top-15 defenses last season and will use the team’s depth to give the Wolverines plenty of ways to keep offenses guessing this fall.

A reporter asked Jim Harbaugh yesterday what the key is to winning on the road is, and the coach responded with a simple “Pack your defense.” If Michigan does that, it will keep this game close.

Zach’s prediction: Michigan–23, Utah–20

Even people who eat, sleep and breathe Michigan football aren’t sure what to expect Thursday. I think, however, that the stacked defense and improved special teams will keep Utah in check and on their heels. With no proven offensive playmakers yet, Michigan’s offense will be far from pretty, but an ugly slugfest is Harbaugh’s forte and will be enough for Michigan to sneak out of Salt Lake City with a win.

@GriffDoug