Buying Local and Healthy Food at 13th Street Market

Most students are looking for the best deals when it comes to grocery shopping, and the cheapest choices aren’t always the healthiest ones. But there is a market conveniently located next to the U that is going to change all of that. 13th Street Market sells healthy, local products and, best of all, they offer a student discount.

13th Street Market locally grown fresh produce, Friday, September 4, 2015 Photo credit: Peter Creveling

The market is located on 1300 East, next door to Graywhale. It is an easy one-block walk down from Presidents Circle, so it’s a great place to stop by during a break between classes or on your way home. You may not have heard of this neighborhood gem as it just opened its doors in January of this year. The market is operated by the same people who manage the community co-op, but there’s no need to be a member of the co-op to shop at the store.

13th Street Market features a wide array of locally-made products across its open and friendly interior. The middle of the store plays host to bins of fresh, vibrant seasonal produce while the shelves are lined with various products ranging from sweet to savory. Not only is the space friendly but so are the staff, who are passionate about fresh, locally-sourced products. Any of the employees are happy to chat with you about their favorite foods and everything the market has to offer, including that sweet 10 percent student discount. They also put out some pretty delicious samples that are sure to sell you if nothing else does. I got to sample a salsa made by a local company, Salsa Del Diablo. It was a unique take on a traditional salsa with an Asian flare through the incorporation of ginger and sesame. I had to stop myself from eating all the samples and buying out the entire case.

Even if going out in public isn’t your thing, you can still patronize the market. The market takes orders for grocery delivery so you can get food delivered to your apartment or dorm room. Not only would you avoid a trip to the store but you would also be getting some top-quality food while you’re at it.

The market is also participating in “Porchfest,” coming up later this month, on Sept. 26. Porchfest is a one-day event where local businesses open up their gardens, porches, patios and interiors as stages for musicians and as galleries for artists. It will be a perfect time to check out the market and other businesses in the area. This is all part of the local food philosophy, helping people to connect with their community and become more engaged.

Life is busy and when life is busy we tend to compromise on things that may be important. Fresh food is one of these compromises, especially in the life of a busy college student. There’s no need to go out of your way to go to a farmers market to get the best local foods. Take a walk in the neighborhood around the U and check out 13th Street Market for some local, delicious and conveniently located items. If you like the Facebook page before visiting, they’ll even give you a 20 percent discount. Don’t allow yourself to miss out on this delicious community resource.