Find food and fun at the Utah State Fair this weekend

Early each September, flocks of Utahns head to the Utah State Fairpark to enjoy fried, double-fried and triple-fried foods of massive proportions, among other things, at the State Fair. Here, visitors can sample some of Utah’s locally produced delights and feast on fair staples. While food options are endless, they aren’t all the fair has to offer. Scattered between and around food vendors sit booths selling all sorts of wares including dresses, wallets, airbrush tattoos and hats of all shapes and sizes.

The Utah State Fair contains collections of art sent in by people of all ages. Fairly strong self-esteem is necessary to enjoy the art here, however, especially when looking through sections labelled “Amateur: 11 and younger” — there’s nothing quite as depressing as seeing art done by a 7-year-old “amateur” that looks better than anything you could produce in your wildest dreams. Still, the art is eye-catching and enjoyable and calls for appreciation. Much of the art focuses on the cowboy experience and landscape images, but there is a wide variety mixed in as well, including a wyvern-figure, images of tigers and more familiar pictures of household pets and plants.

For those more animal- than art-inclined, the fair includes multiple buildings dedicated to showcasing the best in farm animals such as goats, sheep, pigs and cows. The fair also plays host to Utah’s own rodeo. The rodeo begins Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 5 p.m., with final scores determined Sunday. While the rodeo seems to have lost some of its appeal over the past few years, it still provides an opportunity for us city dwellers to enjoy watching cattle-wrestling and horse riding action as well as rodeo clown silliness. One of the best parts of the rodeo is the Mutton Busting, which involves small children being placed on top of sheep and told to hold on for dear life just before the gate opens and the sheep take off running. The rodeo also includes contestants riding bucking horses bareback or with saddles, riding bucking bulls, showcasing cattle-catching methods and the ever-present antics of a clown in layers of makeup and outlandish costumes.

There is no need to fear missing out if you attend the fair after Sept. 13. While you will not be able to enjoy the rodeo after that date, this year The Royal Hanneford Circus is also taking up space in the fairpark from Sept. 14 until the fair ends on Sept. 20.

Tickets for the fair itself are $10 at the gate, and tickets for the rodeo are an additional $12 if bought in advance and $15 if bought at the fair.

Take advantage of everything the Utah State Fair has to offer while it lasts.