The David Eccles School of Business has announced that one of the Accounting Circle Scholarships will be renamed in honor of the late Matt Heffernan.

Matt Heffernan graduated from the school of accounting with a Master of Accountancy in 2014. A professional skier, Heffernan was well-known along the Wasatch and within the skiing community. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Matt Heffernan had lived in Utah six years at the time of his death.

On Aug.14, Heffernan and his friends were jumping from 60-foot cliff “King Kong” in Skull Crack Canyon at Causey Reservoir in Weber County. On his fifth jump, Heffernan attempted a double backflip. He landed face-first and never resurfaced.

Heffernan will be remembered for his devotion to professionalism, as a gifted skier and as a generous friend.

Students in the school of business, such as sophomore Sabrina Dewey, are pleased the scholarship will be renamed in Heffernan’s honor.

“He’s a recent graduate, so there are many current students that knew him and looked up to him,” Dewey said. “He had so many accomplishments within and outside of the university.”

The business school was contacted, but no response was given about the scholarship amount. The newly named scholarship will be awarded next year, at the Undergraduate Scholarship Committee.

e.anderson@dailyutahchronicle.com

@emilyinorgandy

Emily Anderson
Emily is the former executive editor of The Daily Utah Chronicle and Wasatch Magazine. She studied journalism and the Middle East. Between 2015 and 2019, Emily covered stories from nearly every beat at the Chronicle. She was previously a contributor at SLUG Magazine, and has interned with RadioWest, KUER News and The Salt Lake Tribune.