Downtown Dine O’Round Provides Chance for Students to Eat Fancy Food for Cheap

For a college student, a lunch or a dinner at a nice downtown restaurant can sometimes seem like only a fantasy. We all cross our fingers that our friends or families will take pity on our ramen-fed existence and treat us to a night out. Well, for most of the month of September we can uncross our fingers and treat ourselves to lunch or dinner at a downtown Salt Lake restaurant through the annual Downtown Dine O’Round.

The Downtown Dine O’Round features some of Salt Lake’s best downtown restaurants with pre-set lunch and dinner menus. There are $5 and $10 two-item lunch menus and $15 or $30 three-course dinner menus at participating restaurants. Some of the restaurants participating in the Dine O’Round are Taco Taco, Tony Caputo’s, Cannella’s, The Copper Onion, Market Street, Stoneground, Star of India, Tin Angel Cafe and many more. No matter what food you are in the mood for, there is sure to be something on the list to satisfy your palate and your budget.

I took advantage of the $15 three-course dinner menu at Cannella’s Restaurant and Lounge. Cannella’s is an Italian restaurant located on 204 E. and 500 South near the City Library and The Leonardo. When I saw Cannella’s listed as one of the participating restaurants I was immediately interested, as their tiramisu is the light of my life. The atmosphere at Cannella’s is also conducive to a dinner with friends or a romantic dinner for two, making it a versatile choice.

The set Dine O’Round menu at Cannella’s sports classic Italian fare. The appetizer is a bruschetta with fresh tomatoes, creamy goat cheese and sweet balsamic reduction, all piled on crispy slices of French bread. The appetizer is followed by your choice of soup or salad. There are two choices for the final course: the three-cheese ravioli, with either a vodka cream or parmesan cheese sauce, and a choice of spicy sausage or chicken; or a turkey and vegetable pasta with choice of sauce. I went for the three-cheese ravioli with vodka cream and spicy sausage.

Though the restaurant was busy and it took a while for the entrees to make it to the table, the outdoor seating was lovely, and the appetizers are more than enough to tide you over until the main course. Finally the main course arrived, and it was well worth the wait. The plate came with a slice of toasty garlic bread that was perfect for soaking up the flavorful sauce left over on the plate.

Every once in awhile it can be nice to treat yourself to a dinner that isn’t prepared in the microwave. Downtown Dine O’Round is the perfect way to have a nice meal out without draining your bank account. The event goes from Sept. 11 to 27, so there are still a few days left. If you miss it this year, make sure to keep it in mind for next year, as it’s a great way to enjoy downtown Salt Lake.