Utes Hope to Combat Oregon’s Athleticism in Matchup with Ducks

Utah football opens up Pac-12 play this Saturday on the road with its game against Oregon. In non-conference play, the Utes didn’t drop a single contest, and while of course winning has been the biggest takeaway, Utah has made plenty of mistakes.

Head coach Kyle Whittingham is taking full advantage of his team’s wins. He sees this as a chance to really instill a tough mentality into his team because it is easier to fix these faults when the team is on a high note.

“Teams are less fragile when you’re winning, and you can coach them harder,” Whittingham said. “When you’re winning it’s a great opportunity to really hammer home the points you want to make in a very demonstrative way.”

Whittingham knows what his defense is capable of, and that is partly why he is putting so much pressure on them. He and the coaching staff have high standards for them, and these standards will need to be met in Eugene.

Last season, the Utes lost to the Ducks at home, where Kaelin Clay infamously dropped the ball inches before the end zone, and Oregon then returned it for a touchdown of its own. The 14-point swing shifted momentum to the Ducks, who won the game 51-27. However, Whittingham is not thinking about that game, or that play. Rather, his players will know how to handle themselves in adverse situations.

“That’s in the past,” Whittingham said. “As long as we do things the way we’re taught, we’ll be okay. We’ve talked about it — not that particular play, but the mechanics of how to handle that situation.”

The Utes are confident that history won’t repeat itself, and it certainly helps that Marcus Mariota is no longer suiting up. No one can really fill the shoes Mariota left behind, but the Utes will have to deal with either Vernon Adams or Jeff Lockie.

Adams sat out last Saturday with an injury, and while Whittingham thinks that both quarterbacks fit well into the system at Oregon, the Utes will focus most of their efforts on Adams. But regardless of who plays, he will need his defensive linemen to continue to step it up and put more consistent pressure on the quarterback.

Although Utah’s defense may not be living up to the hype, only registering two sacks so far this season, senior right end Jason Fanaika thinks differently. He sees his teammates going after the quarterback in each play, but other teams are just more aware of the Utes’ physical defense this time around.

“If you look at the film, our guys are doing their job,” Fanaika said. “We’re getting to the quarterback, the quarterback’s just getting the ball out very quick.”

As for Utah’s quarterback decision, the team knows whether Travis Wilson or Kendal Thompson will be starting, but everyone else will have to wait until things are underway in Autzen Stadium.

Aside from the quarterback, Whittingham was quick to name Royce Freeman as a standout for Oregon and as Utah’s biggest challenge. Whittingham first caught a glimpse of the 5-foot-11 running back during Pac-12 Media Days and was shocked at his physical presence.

“He’s a tremendous football player, and he’s a load,” Whittingham said. “He’s a big, big kid, and he’s fast and — just great production. He’s tough. He’s a very impressive specimen.”

But in the end, there’s one thing the Utes will not be able to change, and it’s why they will need to bring their A-game if they’re going to come home with a win — Oregon’s pure athleticism.

“They’ve got as much talent as anyone in the Pac-12, maybe in the country with the athletes they have,” Whittingham said.

The game starts at 5:30 p.m. PT.

@kbrenneisen