Pop Culture Round-Up: Jon Hamm Finally Wins an Emmy … Amy Poehler Doesn’t

Due to an otherwise dull and uneventful week, today’s pop culture round up will be more like an “Emmy” round up. So here’s everything that happened during the Emmys that you might’ve missed.

Andy Samberg gave the world his HBO Now password. Well, it wasn’t really him — it was the HBO marketing team. Because the Emmy Awards were streamed on HBO, which prides itself in being a super-exclusive channel, only select people could watch it. However, thanks to host Andy Samberg and a genius marketing team for HBO, anyone on Twitter saw the password to get into HBO Now and watch the awards show. Unfortunately, it only worked for a little bit, and then HBO told people, “Sorry, it doesn’t seem to be working. You can create an account with a free trial for 30 days!” Nice move, HBO. Speaking of Andy Samberg …

Host Andy Samberg’s first line of the show was about Justin Timberlake because of course it was. “Justin Timberlake is not coming,” he said. For those of you who don’t know, JT and Samberg are well known for their legendary SNL sketches. And if you don’t know what sketch is their most famous, Google it on your own time and definitely not in front of your grandparents.

Tracy Morgan made his return after a serious car accident. Morgan has been recovering for more than a year after a bad accident left him with several broken bones as well as serious head trauma. Last Sunday night, he made his return to the stage to present the award for best drama series, which went to “Game of Thrones.” “Last year, Jimmy Kimmel said we’d see you here next year, Tracy Morgan,” Morgan said upon taking the stage, “Thanks to my doctors and my beautiful wife, I’m here standing on my own two feet. God bless all you for your love, prayers and positive thoughts for the past 15 months.”

Don Draper finally got his Emmy. Now, I’ll admit I’m putting this in here because I love “Mad Men” more than life itself, but I still think it’s a noteworthy win. Jon Hamm has consistently lost in the category of “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series,” which is especially remarkable for a show of such popularity. Because “Mad Men” has just aired its final season, this was Hamm’s last chance to win an Emmy for his iconic role, and fortunately he was not disappointed.

Amy Poehler didn’t win an Emmy but still won the show. Poehler was nominated (again) for Leading Actress in a Comedy. When the camera panned around the audience as the names were read for this category, she was found chilling in a hoodie and sunglasses. This is the 16th Emmy nomination she has lost, so bringing her classic humor to it by acting completely blasé about the whole thing showed she’s no sore loser.