Message of “Happy” Remains Relevant: People Can Always Choose Joy

I know I am about five years late to the game, but I just watched the documentary “Happy.” How I lived two decades without the liberalizing information it packs into 73 minutes has yet to be determined. Happiness and circumstances were always correlated in my mind, but there is developing evidence suggesting that an individual can determine their own jubilance.

According to data in the film, approximately 50 percent of an individual’s joy is genetically predisposed. Imbalances of neurotransmitters in the brain can cause conditions like depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder. Genetic levels of happiness are considered the set point because our genes determine our base contentment. Forty percent of our contentment is intentional activity, completely within the scope of control. A mere 10 percent of happiness is determined by circumstance. I accepted the information in the film willingly but took issue with some aspects. Dissenters of the happiness movement claimed false optimism could have serious detriments to individuals and that it is being applied in unrealistic situations.

These arguments have some degree of truth. Excessively telling society to be happy could be misunderstood as encouraging people to only engage in activities that make them feel happy. Emphasizing gladness in every possible scenario could foster an unrealistic outlook on life and ignorance to societal issues. But these opinions are almost too analytical and misrepresent the ideas of positive psychology — the study of fulfilling lives and what they entail.

Skeptics of positive psychology cite beliefs of extreme individuals, like those who believe positivity can cure cancer and other terminal illnesses. This is not the idea “Happy” promotes. The documentary details individuals who live very simple lives and those who have endured many hardships. Some live in poverty; others have severe health issues. The film does not attempt to romanticize trials or imply that happiness has performed miracles. Hindrances in life are inevitable and can be devastating, but an uplifting attitude can make them more bearable. This idea is the emphasis of “Happy.”

Additionally, the film emphasizes how humans can be more positive in their outlook. According to “Happy,” Denmark has consistently been ranked the “Happiest Country on Earth.” In the documentary, a Danish woman and her two children are interviewed and discuss their housing community. The woman is a single mother who has to handle all the stresses of raising children alone, but living in conjoint homes with other families has greatly alleviated her burden. Constantly being surrounded by others and having support has made her happier, and this is the case for many Danish citizens. “Happy” suggests a correlation between companionship and happiness, citing family and friends as primary sources of enjoyment.

The film also documents Melissa Moody, a woman who was facially disfigured after being injured by a truck. The functioning of her nose and eyes were impaired and required many reconstructive surgeries to repair. Her vision was inoperative for many years, her husband filed for divorce and she incurred substantial debts from numerous operations. During this time she relied on support from friends and family to build confidence and well-being. This does not mean cheerfulness magically rehabilitated her physiological problems — believing her life would improve after the accident did not tangibly improve the effects of the accident — but happiness cultivated both mental and emotional wellness that rejuvenated her life.

Stephen Hawking is one of my most esteemed inspirations. His life has been plagued by a disease that cripples his ability to speak and write, but that has not stopped him from cultivating and spreading his knowledge. Positivity is a source of success that Mr. Hawking often cites, and he regards it as essential for a meaningful life. In Science Digest in 1984, he said, “One has to have a positive attitude and must make the best of the situation that one finds oneself in; if one is physically disabled, one cannot afford to be psychologically disabled as well.” Coming from someone who has outlived his projected life expectancy by 50 years, this statement has infinite magnitude. Positivity cannot heal our ailments or perform miracles, but it can provide us with the reassurance and desire to continue. In the subjects of “Happy,” it provided a sense of community and reassurance. In Stephen Hawking, it provided the desire to continue exploring our universe and developing theories. Happiness provides something in every individual, and we ourselves must determine what it is.