Take a Hike to Walk Off School-Induced Stress

We all break down sometimes. For me, the breaking point came last weekend as I stared at the long string of items on my to-do list. The feeling started out as slight panic and slid rapidly into a long contemplation about doom and the meaning of life. By the time I felt better, I finally understood why somebody would drop out of college.

Luckily, before I pulled out the rug on my college career, I decided to take a few deep breaths. What could I do besides dropping out of school? At the moment, it was a seriously tough question. Then it hit me — I could go hiking. I realized my stress was stemming in large part from not getting out on the trail. I was so used to multiple hikes a week during the summer that I was practically suffocating without my sojourns into nature. Fortunately for my mental health, we live in a city surrounded by miles upon miles of trails, so it didn’t take me long to find myself walking through the trees, feeling like maybe life isn’t so bad after all.

hiking 2

I headed up Big Cottonwood canyon on Sunday, along with a pretty good chunk of the Salt Lake population. I usually try to avoid the canyons on weekends, but with the state I was in, I was prepared to make an exception. Even the drive up the canyon helped me to calm down. I had been so caught up in the daily grind that I had hardly noticed the season shift to autumn. Fall was in full swing. The hillsides spilled with vibrant scarlet and orange. The golden aspen groves were especially beautiful; there’s nothing quite like the sound of the wind through their leaves to give you a feeling of peace.

I always make the excuse that there is simply no time in my hectic schedule to get out of the city. This excuse is one that I think many of us use but it can be rendered invalid. For one thing, the wilderness is only 30 minutes’ drive — or less — away from Salt Lake. In fact, the Bonneville shoreline trail snakes around the entire valley and a trailhead connecting to it can usually be found close by wherever you may find yourself. There’s a trailhead right above the U, so students really have no excuse. There is also one branching off the Ensign Peak trail that is a mere 10 minutes from downtown. There is definitely time to squeeze in at least one hike during the week.

The fact is, we all get stressed, and we all experience breakdowns as a result. I’ve found that the key is to pinpoint what things relieve that stress and get rid of all the excuses that keep you from doing those things. For me, a good dose of physical exertion in nature does the trick. If you’re at a loss as to what to do, I recommend trying out a hike. It doesn’t have to be long or uphill. Even a stroll around one of the many alpine lakes that dot the Wasatch can work wonders on a worried mind. The to-do list will still be there when you’re done, but maybe after the walk you’ll have the strength to tackle it. If not, that’s okay — you can always just put it off to go on another hike.