Homecoming Preview

Homecoming is upon us, and ASUU and the Alumni Association have events planned for students, faculty and alumni to participate in.

To kick off the week, the Homecoming dance was held at the Depot on

Oct. 2. The theme was “Redtro,” to coincide with the general #UUThrowback motif.

To continue the festivities, there will be a variety of activities throughout this week. On Tuesday, student organizations will participate in house decorating to show their U pride in a creative and professional way.

On Wednesday from 5 to 8:30 p.m., the Alumni Association will hold the Emeritus Reunion for alumni who graduated 40 years ago or are 65 years old or older. There will be a dinner followed by a tour of the new basketball center.

ASUU will host Songfest on Thursday in the Union ballroom starting at 6 p.m. Applications to participate were due Sept. 25.

Brittni Strickland, senior class president, said Songfest “offers the opportunity to create a song that portrays their love for [the U] and Homecoming Week.”

After Songfest, the Alumni Association will hold Crimson Rally — the only pep rally of the year — on the Union lawn. Head football coach Kyle Whittingham, cheerleaders and Swoop will participate in pumping up students for Saturday.

Friday, Oct. 9 is game day for soccer and volleyball. The U soccer team will play against Washington State at 4 p.m. at Ute Field. Volleyball will be at 6 p.m. in the Hunstman Center against UCLA.

Early Saturday morning will be the Scholarship 5K, hosted by the Alumni Association. Mindy Thiriot, senior event coordinator, said the purpose is to raise scholarship money. They hope to get 1,000 people to participate. The event begins at 8:30 a.m., starting and finishing at the Alumni House and going all around campus. Children can participate for $15, students for $23, staff for $25 and all others for $30.

Saturday night will be the pre-game tailgate party at 6 p.m., followed by the Utah vs. Cal football game at 8 p.m. The five homecoming royalty members will be recognized. Players will wear throwback jerseys with the interlocking U, completing the theme of #UUThrowback.

A full list of events can be found on the Alumni Association’s website.

@sidneymarchant