Flashin’ Back to 60’s Fashion

Call me old-fashioned, but something about retro clothes really gets me going. Whether it is a vintage blazer from the 1960s or a vintage-inspired button-up, I’ve come to realize that a hefty portion of my closet borrows heavily from the past.

It all started my freshman year of high school, when AMC’s “Mad Men” was well into its third year on air. With its impeccable mod aesthetic and expert storytelling, the show pushed American pop culture toward a decadent mid-century haze. For wide-eyed fashion enthusiasts like me, this meant diving head-first into the pastel-soaked, perfectly-tailored cesspool of ‘60s mania. It took a while to figure the whole thing out — I had great taste back then, but my premature high-school brain had the hardest time translating that taste into anything worthwhile — but by senior year I was sporting technicolor blazers to class, paired with pastel button-ups, chinos and oxford shoes.

homecoming fashion 2

Looking back, I took my weird ‘60s obsession a little too seriously. With my expertly coiffed hair and a closet brimming with pastels, the Don Draper shaped monster inside of me wreaked havoc upon my trendier classmates on the days I channeled my mid-century madness. In the end I probably resembled “Freaks and Geeks” character Neal Schweiber more than any character on “Mad Men,” but at least I tried.

Now that three and a half years of college separates me from that good-natured but helplessly literal ‘60s fanatic, I’ve learned to express my adoration for the time period in subtler, snazzier ways, allowing me to mix it more fluidly with contemporary fashion and style. Here are some tips on how you can incorporate the flair of the decade into your closet without seeming too desperate.

Pastels

Although these lighter, daintier shades of your favorite colors are typically reserved for the spring months, I find satisfaction in haphazardly sprinkling them throughout the year. When the majority of the Northern Hemisphere is clad in the navies, oranges, browns and maroons of autumn, I’ll be dressed in bubblegum-pink, mint-green, turquoise, periwinkle and the like. When winter barrels into the Salt Lake Valley and violently pushes color out the door, I use my pastels to stay sane — they add color and life without damaging the cornea.

homecoming fashion 3

Tailored blazers

Surprisingly, blazers have a place in your wardrobe beyond black-tie occasions or, more realistically, work. When worn with a loose t-shirt and pair of jeans, blazers can actually look pretty casual. One of my favorite ways to sport a sport coat, however, is to sling it around my waist with a knot in the front, much like a flannel. The tailored structure of the coat makes for a delectably fun shape when dangling from the waist.

Oxford shoes

A nice pair of oxford shoes goes with anything. Seriously. I wear my brown oxfords with a swimsuit more often than I do with a suit and tie. As long as what you’re wearing on top is thoughtful and fashionable, there’s really nothing you can’t pair them with. Don’t believe me? Try it out for yourself.

The old “jeans and a t-shirt” trick

While this isn’t nearly as fun or creative as what has been suggested already, a t-shirt with rolled sleeves tucked into a relaxed fit pair of jeans has a casual elegance that never goes out of style. The key here is keep it simple, with a solid color shirt (preferably white or a lighter shade) rather than a graphic tee or something that’s too busy.

@AdditakOfficial