Homecoming: Students Say, “Meh…”

The #UUThrowback Homecoming Week is in full swing, bringing dances, singing competitions and one of the biggest football games of the year to campus — but how many U students are actually looking forward to these events?

In an online poll on The Daily Utah Chronicle’s website, students were asked to rank their excitement for this week. Thirty-one out of the 58 respondents selected “meh,” 13 said they were “mildly interested,” eight said they were psyched and six said they were “dreading it.”

Kimberlee Briggs, a junior in sociology and theatre, was one of the people who checked the “meh” option.

“Maybe I’m ignorant to its purpose, but I don’t feel and never have felt like Homecoming applies to me,” Briggs said. “If I cared enough to really feel something about it, it would be disdain.”

Vincent Fu, a junior in biology and music, said while he supports his friends participating, it wasn’t something he planned on getting involved in.

“I know about Homecoming, and I know what it is, but it’s just not an integral part of my college experience,” Fu said.

Fu said he thinks these events are worthwhile for students to attend in order to promote school spirit, but ASUU should put more effort into involving more of the student body.

Brittni Strickland, senior class president, said in an emailed statement that this year ASUU “stressed reaching out to all students” through promotional materials posted on campus.

Based on previous years, Strickland said ASUU anticipates 700 students at the dance, 1,100 at Songfest, 1,200 for house decorating in and around the 15 different locations for the event, and around 1,100 for the rest of the activities.

“Memories and traditions are so important throughout the year and especially Homecoming Week,” Strickland said. “This is one of the last chances for students to be involved and share the spirit of the University.”

Strickland said this is the first year they’ve themed the dance, which she encourages students to attend in “their best ‘70s attire” and continue participating in other activities throughout the week.

Last year’s homecoming events totaled around $8,000, according to a January 2015 Daily Utah Chronicle article. Strickland said the anticipated cost of the dance and other activities associated with the week this year is $9,800.

All students pay a mandatory fee to ASUU, averaging $23.12 a semester, based on a 15-hour credit course load, according to the Office of Budget and Statistical Analysis. These fees go toward a variety of organizations and activities on campus, including Homecoming Week.

@EhmannKy