Get Ready for Sweater Weather

After a few unexpected summer-like weeks this October, fall seems to have finally wiggled its way back into the Salt Lake Valley. For Utah autumn lovers like me, this news is like hearing your favorite discontinued frozen yogurt flavor is suddenly back, but only for a limited time. When a beloved season like fall finally turns up it is important that you take advantage of its glorious cool-not-cold attitude before the icy claws of winter relentlessly grasp the valley. For me, sweaters snap into focus as my wardrobe forcefully sheds every remnant of summer.

In fall, a sweater can take control of an outfit in ways that are impossible when buried under layers of coats in the winter. Being creative with how you wear a sweater is part of fall’s main appeal, so here is a list of four ways to wear a sweater:

As a shirt

It won’t be long before the frigid temperatures of late-November to early-March force layers above and below a sweater, so donning a single cable-knit as your only layer is a rare treat only fall can serve. The look is easy and casual and doesn’t run the risk of looking stiff and stuffy like many of winter’s layer bonanzas tend to. If Mr. Golden Sun shines a little too bright and you find yourself warmer than you’d like, rolling up your sleeves is a cinch because you won’t have to worry about dealing with an awkward button-up underneath.

As an undershirt

Taking some inspiration from the last point, wearing a sweater underneath a looser button-up (as opposed to over) is a clever, creative way to experiment with the layers of fall. The look echoes childhood and the expressive style of the 90s and early 2000s, a glorious, candy-colored era many of us are too eager to forget. Choosing a slimmer, thinner sweater is important here, as something too thick will fill the shirt in ways that aren’t terribly flattering.

sweater 3

Like a golf-dad

With the sweater in question tossed on the back of the wearer with its arms dangling, often tied on the chest, this preppy look is used in films and T.V. to signify that a character is selfish, rich and boring. However, I find the look to be loads of fun when worn with a bit of pizazz. Instead of choosing a solid neutral, pick out a fair-isle or a sweater with a pattern that compliments the outfit underneath. This will add texture and bring it to life.

sweater 2

Inside out

Hear me out on this. Due to the knitting process, oftentimes a sweater’s inside has a richer, more interesting texture than what you see on the outside. A fair-isle, for example, is a disheveled mess of yarn when worn inside out that is, quite frankly, a hell of a lot more fun to look at. The look is decidedly messy and will enhance the ongoing trend of hobo-chic that Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen popularized. That said, when worn with a button-up underneath and a nice pair of pants, this styling tip can add intrigue to an otherwise normal ensemble.

sweater 4

Fall sweater experimentation doesn’t stop there. With a dash of creativity there are endless supplies of fun, fancy ways to wear a sweater.

@additakoffiicial