New Slacklining Course Established Near Union

The Union recently installed a slacklining course behind Orson Spencer Hall (OSH).

Slacklining typically consists of running a strap of “webbing,” usually two inches in width, between a couple anchors — poles, trees, stakes — and ratcheting it tight to create a tightrope effect. Participants walk or perform other balancing acts on the line several feet above the ground.

The course consists of three wooden poles, stained and capped with metal to prevent water damage and corrosion and is open to anyone on campus. Signs have been posted on how to use the poles safely and participants are required to bring their own equipment.

The project was a collaboration among the slackline club, Facilities Management, Housing and Residential Education, Outdoor Adventures and various other departments.

This course is the second one constructed on campus. Barb Remsburg, director of Housing and Residential Education, said the first was built in 2012 per requests of a growing student community and Facilities Management.

Whit Hollis, Union director, said this past summer, the idea of a course for all of the student body was in the works. Hollis took the initiative to create one in a central part of campus to cater for a growing desire of students, staff and faculty.

Teresa Pond, a graduate assistant at the Union, said having the structure in such a central area will have a positive impact at the U.

“We want to ensure that if members of our campus community have interests, we are able to accommodate,” Pond said.

Shireen Ghorbani, of organizational development and communication in facilities management, said the poles were also constructed to give students space to slackline without damaging the trees on campus. Extended use for the activity can cause trees to bend, ruin bark and affect growth.

Currently, there are no rules banning slacklining between trees and/or stakes on campus. However, Facilities Management said if significant damage caused by repeated use of trees and other structures occurs, slacklining only on designated sites will be enforced.

@BeauHart13