Take Time for Tea: Wide Variety of Teas Makes Perfect Fall Beverage

It can be difficult for a tea lover in a coffee-powered society. When somebody asks you if you want to grab a coffee you have to ask, “Do they have a good tea menu?” What avid coffee drinkers may not know is that often the tea menu is more expansive and flavorful than any menu of coffee offerings. So even if they don’t have your favorite type of tea, there is bound to be something else delicious to try.

The thing about tea is that it is an art form in its own right. With a plethora of varieties, sub-varieties, flavors and colors, it can be an overwhelming world to stumble into. There are those who have researched and practiced the art of tea for years. They can tell you where the tea leaves come from, what they blend with the best, how long to steep the various types and so much more. However, there are also those who like to keep their love of tea casual and simple, rejoicing as the weather grows cooler so they can stock their shelves with boxes and boxes of whatever happens to look good.

tea 2

Tea is incredibly versatile, with so many varieties and variations that a trip down the tea aisle at the local grocery store can be an exhilarating adventure. There are black teas with caffeine for a kick, green teas that combine beautifully with many different flavor notes, red teas like rooibos and a huge number of other herbal teas. There are loose leaf teas that require a brewing device, such as a tea ball, and there are pre-packaged tea bags.

Pre-packaged tea bags are great for on the go and can stay fresh for a long time if each teabag is individually sealed. Loose leaf tea is great if you have more time or you want to experiment. The loose leaf gives you the freedom to make the brew a little stronger or lighter and to combine different kinds of tea for a unique blend.

If you are not sure where to start when it comes to a cup of tea, I recommend the pre-packaged varieties and moving on from there once you have established what you like. To start out, I would pick a black tea and an herbal tea that stand out to you at the grocery store. For your black tea, I suggest English breakfast tea or a chai (you can get these in decaffeinated varieties), and for your herbal, a peppermint or something fruity. I always have boxes of these teas on hand — they are the standbys that help me make it through the day, especially now that the temperature is finally taking that long-awaited fall plunge. If you want to get some quality loose leaf tea and talk to some tea experts, Tea Grotto on 900 South is a great resource.

There is something innately comforting about a hot cup of tea. If you have yet to dive into the world of tea, this fall is great time to start. If you already love tea, then now is the time to go out there and try some new varieties. The world of tea is far from boring.

@Unchained116