On the Other Sideline: Seven Questions with The Daily UW

Utah goes on the road to Seattle this weekend to play against the Washington Huskies. Ahead of the game, The Daily Utah Chronicle talked to Erik Erikson of The Daily UW to prepare for the matchup.

The Huskies just completely destroyed Arizona in a 49-3 win. How were they able to do that?

The Huskies were able to put together a blowout win by finally being productive on offense in the first half. Then UW scored just its second first-quarter touchdown of the season against the Wildcats and kept the momentum rolling the entire night.

Does this win give them any motivation/momentum going against the Utes?

Any time you can blowout a conference opponent it gives you some momentum heading into the next matchup. With four games remaining, the Huskies will need two wins to be postseason eligible, so I think they have all the motivation they need.

What/who should the Utes be concerned about?

The Utes should be worried about the UW defense, which has been one of the best in the Pac-12 so far. The Huskies entered the season with tons of questions on defense after having four players drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft, but have made even more strides this season.

What/who should Washington be concerned about?

The Huskies should be worried about the Utah defense. If you throw our last week’s blowout over Arizona, the Huskies have been pretty ineffective on offense during Pac-12 play. Just like the UW, Utah is no slouch on defense, so the Huskies will need to be able to sustain some drives to give their defense some rest.

What do you think the game is going to come down to?

I think this game will come down to who wins the turnover battle. The UW forced four turnovers last week against Arizona and obviously USC was able to be successful against the Utes because of the turnovers they forced.

What does a win/loss do for Washington?

A win makes the Huskies feel extremely confident they will be in the postseason and gives them a huge boost of momentum heading down the final stretch. A loss won’t be a huge downer to the Huskies but makes their final three games even more important.

Who do you think will win and why?

Even though the Huskies are the favorite (surprisingly), I think the Utes win this one in a low-scoring game, 21-17.

@kbrenneisen