U Honors Professors and Program for Encouraging Student Success

The U awarded “Beacons of Excellence” awards to three professors and three programs that have provided transformative experiences to undergraduate students.

The professors awarded were Sharon Aiken-Wisniewski, Craig Bryan and Anthony Butterfield, and the programs were ArtsForce, the Larry H. and Gail Miller Enrichment Scholarship and the Women’s Resource Center.

This is the fourth year that the U has given out the Beacon of Excellence awards. The committee received 260 nominations this time.

Ruth Watkins, senior vice president for academic affairs, said those awarded have made connections with students that have helped with their success.

“We salute you, we celebrate you,” Watkins said at the event on Friday, Oct. 30.

Aiken-Wisniewski, assistant vice president for undergraduate studies, is a clinical associate professor for the Educational Leadership and Policy Department. In a video presented at the event she said how important various relationships are for students. For Aiken-Wisniewski, learning is a “two-way street” where she can also learn from students.

Bryan, assistant professor in psychology and the executive director of the National Center for Veterans Studies, researches suicidal behavior, which he said is not the study of death, but instead the study of why people choose to live despite difficulties. Both veterans and students work in the lab, Bryan said, giving the veterans a place where they feel they belong.

“The success we’ve had is because of students,” he said.

u honors 2

Butterfield, assistant professor in chemical engineering, said he became a professor “by accident” when he was needed by the school to teach, and has now been teaching for five years. Butterfield teaches both a freshman lab course and a senior lab course and enjoys seeing both groups learn to work together.

“I have to work even harder to deserve this,” Butterfield said of the award.

ArtsForce is a program for undergraduate students in the College of Fine Arts to help them imagine life as an art professional. Lis Leckie, assistant dean of undergraduate affairs at the College of Fine Arts, said the program helps students think about additional skills they have, make connections and transition out of college easier.

The Larry H. and Gail Miller Enrichment Scholarship was established in 2002 for underrepresented and first-generation college students. The expectation is that recipients become involved on campus, such as current ASUU President Ambra Jackson, who is a Miller scholar.

“Education is so powerful,” said Steve Miller, son of Larry H. and Gail Miller, at the event.

The Women’s Resource Center, founded in 1971, provides resources such as counseling and support groups. Debra Daniels, director of the center, hopes students have a rich experience working with her team.

“They are tremendous,” she said.

The six Beacon of Excellence winners were nominated by students and faculty of the U.

@shellybrooke17