UtahPresents premieres “Mercy Killers,” a one-man-show about U.S. health care

With the onset of autumn and the beautiful colors caused by the literal death of leaves, morbidity becomes a more acceptable state of mind. Fall is a time to ponder the end. To usher in this new season, UtahPresents will be showcasing the one-man performance of “Mercy Killers” this Friday, Nov. 6. The play’s story revolves around one man’s efforts to save the life of his wife despite an American health care system that seems to do more damage than healing.

Performed by Michael Milligan, the playwright behind the play, with Tom Oppenheim directing, the show promises to be a thought-provoking one. Health care is a pressing issue today, and U students are thus highly encouraged to attend. Medical students in particular were given a preview showing since their entire futures will be based in health care, but health issues will affect everyone at one point or another.

“There may be students who think because they are not medical or nursing students, or maybe not interested in politics, that they won’t enjoy this show,” said Sheri Jardine, communications manger of UtahPresents. “But at its heart, the show is a love story about a man trying to care for his wife. I think anyone who enjoys good stories and good live theatre will enjoy this powerful drama.”

Jardine emphasized that the show’s power comes from its use of “art to create social change” because art “can inspire the person watching to rethink something they thought they believed about the world, or to have empathy for a person they thought was different from them, or to want to act to create change in our world.” According to Jardine, this play is just that kind of experience.

“Mercy Killers” will be performed only once for the general public. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to experience how at least one other person in the world sees the health care system. The show will take place at 7 p.m. in the Eccles Auditorium at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Ticket prices start at $5 with a UCard if bought at the Kingsbury Office prior to the event or at the door the day of (which is not encouraged), $10 for non-U students and youth 18 and under, and $20 for everyone else. Go prepared to have your understanding of the health care system improved, or at least altered.