Science Day introduces high school students to the U

High school student Grant Amann peers through a telescope in the observatory atop the astronomy building this Saturday as a part of the U Science Day activities. Josh Anderson

The future of science is headed to the U.

On Saturday, Nov. 7, the U will host the 27th annual Science Day. From 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., the College of Science will provide high schoolers from Utah, Nevada and Idaho with hands-on research experience.

The day will start with a reception in the Union ballroom. Afterwards, attendees will break off into a series of three individual workshops of their choosing.

The 22 available workshops — held in science buildings on campus — will be based mostly around biology, chemistry, math, physics and astronomy, geology and geophysics.

Justin Parnell, college of science grants and contracts officer, said no matter “what they’re interested in … there’s going to be a workshop.”

After the sessions, participants will reconvene in the Union ballroom for closing activities and a free lunch at 12:30 p.m. Activities will feature a prize giveaway and a drawing of one $3,000 and three $1,000 scholarships to the U to be given away at random.

The Lassonde Institute will donate a $1,000 stipend for a student to live in the Lassonde Studios, which will open for the next academic year.

There will be an optional workshop for parents and teachers, called “University Admission 101: Preparing Your Student,” in the Union Saltair room at 12:30 p.m.

Though the event focuses on science, high school students interested in all disciplines are welcome to attend.

James DeGooyer, College of Science major gift officer, said the day functions as an “introduction to college level research.”

Science Day is the “largest student recruitment event we do at the [U],”Parnell said. “Building interest means bringing in interest.”

The first Science Day took place in 1989, with the intent of showcasing the College of Science, DeGooyer said. The event is free to attend, and coordinators believe it has increased enrollment, but were unable to offer exact figures.

Attendance initially increased steadily after the first Science Day but has now reached a cap of 700 to 800 total attendees. Coordinators expect more than 600 students at Saturday’s event.

@sarahnlegg