New Music Monday: Amber Run

Discovering a new band to follow is always new and exciting, especially catching a band that is still new to the scene.

Amber Run, a band that has not quite made it over to the United States yet, will be one to follow for the next few years. Raw emotion, the telling of deep, tragic stories and moving music can be experienced through listening to Amber Run’s songs.

From Nottingham, United Kingdom, five guys — Joe Keogh, Will Jones, Tom Sperring, Felix Archer and Henry Wyeth — came together to form Amber Run. Their alternative rock, indie pop sound resembles the style of Irish band Kodaline with a Of Monsters and Men-like feel and even a Bastille impression. With that in mind, Amber Run is bound to attract many fans from the followers of the mentioned artists.

So far, Amber Run has only released one album — titled “5am” — and three EPs, “Noah,” “Pilot” and “Spark,” with RCA Records. The band is still creating a name for itself out in the universe, but fans from the U.K. and Ireland have already begun to take notice. It’s time for the U.S. to take notice too.

Amber Run’s ability to depict pain and anger in their songs while still producing music that is calm and easy to listen to is something special. Their songs contain deeper meanings, and when really listening to the lyrics, the meanings can be picked up. But it is not necessary to pay full attention to the lyrics all the time. The music and rhythm behind the words are just as moving.

“Just My Soul Responding” was the first single released from Amber Run’s debut album, “5am.” “Just My Soul Responding” digs deep into the reasons for heartbreak and vulnerability. Through the thoughts and feelings of a struggling person, Amber Run unveils a relatable story with truth and emotion.

The music video, released in December 2014, came before the single was even released in January 2015. But the music video completely illustrates the power behind the song. Immediately as the song and the video begin, the essence of the song unravels.

While “Just My Soul Responding” is reason enough to learn more about Amber Run’s talent, they still have plenty of other songs that demonstrate their ability to bring emotion to the lyrics they are singing.

“I Found,” from their “Pilot” EP, and “5am,” from their “5am” album, also demonstrate Amber Run’s ability to make deeper meanings with good, catchy music.

A lot of Amber Run’s songs are slower and progressive, but they still have songs with faster beats. “Heaven,” from their “Spark” EP, and “Pilot” from their “Pilot” EP, are some of those songs.

Amber Run slides in nicely with the alternative rock and indie pop genres and is bound to attract fans. The band uses deep stories and moving music to connect with the audience and releases touching music videos. Keep a eye on Amber Run — they could be the next big act.